Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Working For The Federal Government Without Being Citizen

Talk about immigration laws here

Postby Taidhg » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:40 pm

My question pertains to working for the federal government without being citizen of Canada. I have an open work permit(can work anywhere in Canada, for any employer) and have applied for PR - expect it to go through within a year at the latest. I am aware that the Public Service Commission law clearly states that citizens are to be given priority in hiring, but that others can apply and are not in principle ineligible for the positions. My question is: in *practice*, do non-citizens ever get to work for the federal government? Does the federal government ever "run out" of Canadians to consider and turns to us mere mortals? If it helps, I work in economic consulting and have 2 years of experience at a top firm, so would be looking at something like the Competition Bureau or the Ministry of Finance.

Many thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide. To give you the context, I am interested in this issue because my significant other is moving to Ottawa for a job and I would like to come along.

Thanks!
Taidhg

Postby Sumner » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:53 am

My question pertains to working for the federal government without being citizen of Canada. I have an open work permit(can work anywhere in Canada, for any employer) and have applied for PR - expect it to go through within a year at the latest. I am aware that the Public Service Commission law clearly states that citizens are to be given priority in hiring, but that others can apply and are not in principle ineligible for the positions. My question is: in *practice*, do non-citizens ever get to work for the federal government? Does the federal government ever "run out" of Canadians to consider and turns to us mere mortals? If it helps, I work in economic consulting and have 2 years of experience at a top firm, so would be looking at something like the Competition Bureau or the Ministry of Finance.

Many thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide. To give you the context, I am interested in this issue because my significant other is moving to Ottawa for a job and I would like to come along.

Thanks!
Sumner

Postby Sakeri » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:58 am

Generally, foreign nationals have considerable difficulty getting federal government jobs not because they are foreign nationals as such but because employees of the federal public service often require a security clearance which is normally limited to citizens.

Unless a competition is specifically restricted to Canadian citizens, there is nothing to prevent you from applying for a position within the public service.

You might also want to look at offering your services in a consulting capacity instead of applying for job positions as such.

Good luck with the move to Ottawa.

Tim Morson

---------------------------

MORSON & ASSOC

353 Saint-Nicolas

Bureau/Suite 307

Montréal(Québec)

H2Y 2P1 Canada

T: 514-845-5454

F: 514-845-8174

[email protected]

www.morson.ca