Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Women's Workplace "uniform"

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Herve » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi Sonia, I just started a new job a few days ago and was not aware of their clothing policy until the first day of work. I work in an all women's fashion boutique. The manager said that after a month of working there I must only wear apparel and shoes from these(3) shops and after wearing items a certain amount of time you must not wear it anymore. I certainly don't have the money to be buying new clothing all the time just because the owner wants me to wear only clothing from their shops- does this sound ridiculous? She also said that we must wear heels everyday to work and wear them until your feet hurt. My question is, Is it legal for an employer to force employees to buy the clothing only from the employers shop? AND Is it legal to force us to wear heels all day long working in retail? My feet are killing me and I'm sure there is a health and safety code the employer is breaking.
Herve

Postby Braleah » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Dear Rebecca:

I am an expert in women's employment rights. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, administered by the EEOC(Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) prohibits discrimination in employment based on sex. I do not know whether your employer's requirements would constitute sex discrimination if, as I assume, all the employees in the women's fashion boutique are women. I suggest that you contact your nearest office of the EEOC to see whether there is a possibility that this could be sex discrimination and, if so,you would have the right to file a charge.  Keep in mind, however, that when you file a charge, you may antagonize your employer and even though retaliation by an employer for filing a charge is unlawful discrimination, that does not necessarily stop employers from retaliating against employees who have filed a charge.

There are also city and state fair employment practice agencies and you might inquire of them, too.

It might be helpful if you could speak to other saleswomen at your boutique who might feel the same way you do and if you brought this complaint to the employer as a group.  I assume a union does not represent the saleswomen in your fashion boutique.

Your employer's demand that you purchase apparel and shoes from its three shops and discard them after a certain period of time might or might not violate minimum wage requirements.  I suggest you contact a Labor Department office in that connection.

Good luck in your efforts!

Best,

Sonia
Braleah

Postby Meyer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi Sonia, I just started a new job a few days ago and was not aware of their clothing policy until the first day of work. I work in an all women's fashion boutique. The manager said that after a month of working there I must only wear apparel and shoes from these(3) shops and after wearing items a certain amount of time you must not wear it anymore. I certainly don't have the money to be buying new clothing all the time just because the owner wants me to wear only clothing from their shops- does this sound ridiculous? She also said that we must wear heels everyday to work and wear them until your feet hurt. My question is, Is it legal for an employer to force employees to buy the clothing only from the employers shop? AND Is it legal to force us to wear heels all day long working in retail? My feet are killing me and I'm sure there is a health and safety code the employer is breaking.
Meyer

Return to Labor Laws