Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Within The Uk Is Self-Defense Legal? If That's The Case, What's Allowed As A Way Of Defense? See Details.

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

In The United Kingdom Is Self Defense Lawful? If So, What Is Allowed As A Means Of Defense? See Details.

Postby Tobyn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:19 pm

PamPerdue said: 1 I totally agree! In the United States, rocket launchers are forbidden. I am in peril every day of criminals with rocket launchers, and I'm not allowed to defend myself with a rocket launcher of my own. I'm expected to comply helplessly when a rocket launcher is stuck in my face.Remember: a rocket-launcher-armed society is a polite society. 50 months ago
Tobyn

In The United Kingdom Is Self Defense Lawful? If So, What Is Allowed As A Means Of Defense? See Details.

Postby rendell60 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi Renrul26,   You reside in a country which has fairly significant crime rates, coupled with significant social decay. Guns are banned in the UK and also Australia for good reasons. Citizens of modern, wealthy and generally law abiding societies should not need to carry firearms. We don't live in the wild west or suffer such high crime rates that you would need to carry firearms.   Most crime involves minor altercations, public nuisance offences, damage to property or minor assaults/domestic disputes.    You have a legal right to defend yourself according to the nature and status of the threat involved. You may virtually disable or cause the offender to be unable to continue with his actions. That does not give you the right to then shoot/maim/further assault or injure the offender. Police should be called to take the offender into custody.   There have been so many cases of innocent people being shot by householders with firearms. One recently where a man shot his fiancee dead as she tried to enter the house late at night. You should announce who you are, put lights on, and give the offender a chance to respond. Few night time burglaries involve thieves carrying firearms in the UK or Australia.   So your chances of being attacked are very slim. You are put at more risk by going to areas where violence is more prevalent and especially at night. You can defend yourself within reasonable circumstances. You are not a judge, jury and executioner!   The police are there to offer protection to citizens under their jurisdiction. They are constrained by resources, equipment and numbers. They cannot be everywhere at once. They do respond quickly to reports of assaults, rape and other serious crime. They cannot be held responsible for every criminal act perpetrated by another. They also investigate crimes to bring offenders to justice.     Some stats comparing homicides in the States/UK and Australia.    The study estimated that Homicide rate was 7.6 homicides per 100,000 populations for 2004 for all countries. Below is stats relevant for us:  United States [59][60] 5.6 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.5 5.6 5.7 6.1 5.8 5.8 the global ho  United Kingdom [51]   1.76 2.03             2.03  Australia [45][49][57][68] 1.57     1.53 1.28 1.45 1.42 1.2   1.2   I am a retired policeman. I have traveled extensively thoughout Europe visited many police establishments. I have also traveled 13,000 kilometers around the States and visited many police stations. It is much safer living in the UK and safer still in Australia. You have so many cities that have 'no go' zones. I was told I should not walk around some areas of Anaheim when visiting the Anaheim police station!!   I also did my dissertation on Police and the Community for my degree.   Criminality is a complex issue. Much more complex than simply ignoring social norms. That's another answer!
rendell60

Previous

Return to Criminal Law