Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Will I have any trouble getting into these Master's SLP programs?

Discussions relating to Personal Injury Law

Will I have any trouble getting into these Master's SLP programs?

Postby clem84 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

Hi everyone,
I'm currently a senior political science major at UMass Dartmouth and I'll be applying to grad school in the fall. Here's a quick run down of my stats:

Highest GRE scores: 150 Q, 160 V, 5.5 in Analytical Writing (the Q translates to roughly a 630, or 53rd percentile; the V translates to 600-610, or 86th percentile).

GPA at UMass Dartmouth: 3.5+ (I'm on track to graduate magna *** laude)
GPA at Temple University: 3.98 (I'll explain the Temple thing in a second)

Previous Internships:
Childhood Lead Action Project (June-August 2012) -- assisting community organizer to help restore state and federal funding to lead poisoning prevention programs

Magee Rehabilitation Hospital (May-July 2011) -- assisting a staff Recreation Therapist with planning, implementing, and evaluating various individual and group-based interventions for patients with traumatic brain injuries; assisting with assessment procedures; participating in co-treats with PT, OT, and SLP as indicated

Now, for the Temple University thing: to make a long story (a little bit) shorter, here's the deal: I started out in school at UMass Dartmouth in the fall of 2008, but I switched my major from political science to recreational therapy in the Spring of 2010 and transferred to Temple. In August 2011 (the day before school started), I fell down a flight of stairs and suffered a moderate concussion. As a result, I had to take a semester off of school. Temple also would have required that I come back to school for 2 YEARS to finish my degree (even though I should have finished in May 2012), so it made much better sense to transfer back to UMass Dartmouth and finish up there, because I only had one year left. I plan on addressing my concussion in my personal statement.

However, with these stats, do you think I'll have any trouble getting into graduate school? I know I'll be getting excellent letters of recommendation from two of my favorite professors at UMass, as well as an internship supervisor at Temple. Here's the list of schools I'll be applying to:

Boston University
Emerson College
Northeastern University
Mass General Hospital Institute of Health Professions
UMass Amherst
University of Rhode Island
Temple University
Baylor University
New York University

I'll also be applying to 1-2 business schools for Healthcare Administration as my backup plan, but I really, really want SLP! Especially in Boston. Do you think it's possible?
clem84

Return to Personal Injury Law