Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Will I get paid for my first week of work?

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby eadweald71 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:20 am

I started this job in an office building on Tuesday, May 1st. The first payday was Friday May 4th, however, I did not get paid and apparently this is because HR was setting up my direct deposit.

My second payday is tomorrow and this is when they will actually pay me.

I have 32 hours on the timesheet for my first week and 40 hours each for the two weeks since then. All my timesheets have been approved.

My question is, will I get paid for the first week on this coming payday or no? I live in Canada, so Canadian labor laws apply here.
eadweald71

Postby tanishia » Fri May 18, 2012 6:23 am

You should get paid for the 32 hour week and the 40 hour week. The other 40 hour week will be on your next cheque. If it were my work, that's what would happen. I live in Canada as well, but our workplaces may operate differently.
tanishia

Postby lazaro94 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:37 am

Are you working for a corporation? My guess is the pay periods don't exactly line up with the paydays. For example, I used to work at a company where the pay periods were the first two weeks and the last two weeks of the month. But, we had to wait for corporate to run payroll and mail checks, so we got paid on the first and third Friday of the month, each time a week after the previous pay period.
lazaro94

Return to Labor Laws