Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

'widget-repair.com' Vs 'widgetrepair.com'

Business Law discussions

Postby Renfrew » Wed May 14, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm no expert but I'll make some educated guesses."- With ?Widget-Repair.com? being trademarked, can the owner of ?WidgetRepair.com? create a similar business, being that the domain has been registered for a longer time then ?Widget-Repair.com? was registered?"I'd say he already has a "business" since he's had that domain name for ten years. He wouldn't have to "create" one."- If ?WidgetRepair.com? can NOT be used for similar business, wouldn?t its appraised value actually be lower, since the usefulness of the domain name is limited?"That doesn't logically follow. "Appraised value" implies that some third party is giving an opinion as to the value of the domain name. Why should the owner care about somebody's opinion?"- I would love to acquire ?WidgetRepair.com? for the obvious reasons, but will not succumb to paying an outrageous price for it.""Outrageous" is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure the owner feels that his price is quite fair. If you want it bad enough you pay the price. Otherwise, walk away."Is there anything else I can do that I may be missing (legally) to get this domain name?"No.He got his fair and square long before you got yours. That's how people make lots of money with domain names.
Renfrew

Postby Sonnie » Tue May 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Quick question: What is 'good will'? Just want to make sure I understood the term correctly.Thanks again.
Sonnie

Postby Rusell » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:23 am

"With?Widget-Repair.com? being copyrighted (at USPTO), can who owns?WidgetRepair.com? Produce a comparable company, being the site continues to be authorized to get a longer period then?Widget-Repair.com? was listed with the ICANN Accredited Registrar?"MAY the dog owner get it done? Certain. Would it not run afoul of one's pre existing privileges? Perhaps. I am unsure if "Widget-Fix" is completely fake or if you should be meaning that the company is fixing anything. Fix company are usually significantly local. Consequently, there's some space for individual within the same company, but who don't contend (e.g., nearby companies in GA and California), to make use of exactly the same or related scars. Nevertheless, your national enrollment does manage nationwide concern, which could be especially true if these are companies and also require clients through the nation. Notice, incidentally, that utilization of your tag before you purchased it might not inure for your advantage. The change of possession displays a brand new supply, and brand legislation is about source id and continuity."If?WidgetRepair.com? Can't be utilized for comparable company, wouldn?t its estimated price really be lower, because the effectiveness of the domainname is restricted?"Again, not really a legitimate problem. Possibly, however, the dog owner is not likely to get an excessive amount for something which is just truly helpful to you. Having said that, he is titled to not market it if you don't spend what he wants."no real matter what, many people may nevertheless key in?WidgetRepair.com? (my website being?Widget-Repair.com?...awful hyphen), and therefore it?ll visit a?left site?* and therefore creating me to get rid of possible traffic."I do not realize that this really is accurate, but I provide the following story: in The supermarket yesterday, I acquired a discount to get a free lift solution in a nearby skiing resort that's two titles. I visited www.name1name2.com and discovered something which obviously was not the resortis site. I then googled the resortis title and unearthed that its site is www.name1-name2.com. Issue resolved, and, I believe that, if people are really trying to find your company, many of them will discover your website in a fashion much like that which I used-to discover the resortis site."Is there other things I will do that I might be absent (officially) to be able to obtain the domainname?"Nothing you certainly can do legally so long as the website is not doing something aggressive (at-best, you may be ready to enjoin the advertisements for your competitive websites). Nevertheless, as previously mentioned, there might be ICANN guidelines as you are able to use.
Rusell

Postby Tadao » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi "ca19lawyer2", and thanks for reacting!I apologize for that distress in my own preliminary try to article the issue, but listed here is another test at it (with clarifications for your concerns). Wish it is a a bit more better:)HISTORY: - I recently bought an internet site company?Widget-Repair.com? (imaginary title, however, you obtain the stage...haha). It had been authorized by having an ICANN Accredited Registrar five years back and also the phrase?Widget-Repair.com? is filed with the USPTO. The website has been around business use for 4 decades (fixing widgets). -?WidgetRepair.com? (the low-hyphenated edition) continues to be authorized with another ICANN Accredited Registrar over 10 years before and evidently who owns the domainname does not have any purpose of utilizing it. They intend on promoting it for 15-20x of exactly what the site is appreciated (that was evaluated at ~E). ?WidgetRepair.com? Isn't submitted with USPTO (or elsewhere, for instance). CONCERNS:- With?Widget-Repair.com? being copyrighted (at USPTO), can who owns?WidgetRepair.com? Produce a comparable company, being the site continues to be authorized to get a longer period then?Widget-Repair.com? was listed with the ICANN Accredited Registrar?- If?WidgetRepair.com? Can't be utilized for comparable company, wouldn?t its estimated price really be lower, because the effectiveness of the domainname is restricted? - I'm along the way of advertising my site, but no real matter what, many people may nevertheless key in?WidgetRepair.com? (my website being?Widget-Repair.com?...awful hyphen), and therefore it?ll visit a?left site?* and therefore creating me to get rid of potential traffic. Having said that, I'd like to obtain?WidgetRepair.com?, but won't yield to spending an excessive cost for this. Is there other things I will do this I might be absent (officially) to be able to obtain the domainname? * Left site? Some ICANN Accredited Registrars (e.g. GoDaddy) have ads for comparable companies that relate solely to the domainname. In my own situation, the present?WidgetRepair.com? Left page has ads for numerous?gadget fix? Rivals?.which simply increases the agony. Thanks again for the period!
Tadao

Previous

Return to Business Law