Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Why do I have to pay court cost for a speeding ticket,when I dont go to court?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby achban » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 am

I live in NC,and this is for Wake county,I got a speeding ticket and I am going to pay it by mail.I understand on the ticket it states to pay the total below,which would be the fine of 50 and the court cost of 190.But why pay court cost if I dont get to use the court?And further more below where it states to pay the total,it states soemthing about the court cost is due for criminal offenses disposed of in court as of G.S. 7A-304!!!!...and this states that court cost is issued for criminal actions disposed of IN district or superior court.So by my reading and the statute itself the court cost should not be paid,as my case would not be dispatched IN court and instead BY MAIL....what do yall think,is the goverment getting one over on us...well more so top this....cuz by my account it looks so,and thats following their statuetes.
achban

Postby jordi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:32 am

The court still files and processes your paperwork, whether you are required to appear or not.
jordi

Postby taillefer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:38 am

The phrase "in court" does not refer to the inside of the physical structure. The court is an organization, not a building.
the term "court costs" is a short-hand for various fees imposed by the state legislature. Those statutes require those to be imposed whether there is a trial or not.
taillefer

Postby caffar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:40 am

Whether or not there was a hearing, that case was filed in court. And, if you plead guilty and pay the fine by mail, it will be disposed in court.

The law does not refer to the defendant being in court; it refers to the case being in court.

If you want to oppose any part of this ticket, consult your attorney.
caffar

Postby adalwine » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 am

Whether or not there was a hearing, that case was filed in court. And, if you plead guilty and pay the fine by mail, it will be disposed in court.

The law does not refer to the defendant being in court; it refers to the case being in court.

If you want to oppose any part of this ticket, consult your attorney.
First of all you have incredibly cheap speeding tickets.

My only guess is that the $50 rate must be something set by the state government. Because that amount is so high, the county decided to add a rather hefty processing fee so they can get theirs.
adalwine

Return to Traffic Law