Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Why Did My Chicken Soup Go Rancid?

Discussions relating to Drug Laws

Postby Eallison » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:09 pm

2 days ago I made a home made chicken soup using defrosted chicken(defrosted in microwave)fresh carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, butternut squash, canned corn and green beans and small box of dry noodles. I've made this a hundred times. I cooked it for about 2 hours and we enjoyed it for dinner-no problems. I put it in the fridge in the covered stock pot after it cooled.Last night I put the pot on the stove and heated it to hot but not boiling, as I was taking some to a friend-I ran out of time so I put some in a plastic container and gave it to my friend. When I got home my husband was eating the soup(several large bowls) and I ate several bowls. It sat on the stove for an hour. As I went to put it in a plastic container to store,I removed lid, it smelled sort of bad and looked yeasty bubbley. I tasted it and it tasted bad-rancid. I threw it out. Any Ideas. My husband and I never got sick but I havent gotten a hold of my friend. Thanks

ANSWER: This is not a food poisoning issue but an issue with quality. You can get a stomach ache and gastrointestinal upset from spoiled and rancid food but it's not as serious and it should go away relatively quickly. Food poisoning symptoms generally take at least 48 hours or more to develop. Tell your friend to throw it out.The soup got rancid because you cooled it too slowly because you did it in a stockpot. This gave bacteria time to grow. Luckily it was spoilage bacteria. ---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

I've cooled it the same way for years, the only difference was the pot. It's the first time I've used this flimsy aluminum stock pot. I've always used a heavier non stick coated dutch oven. Could it have something to do with the pot?
Eallison

Postby Vittorio » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:55 am

I don't think it was the pot. It still looks like you cooled it too slowly which gave bacteria in the soup time to grow. Next time re-heat it to a slow boil and this will be sure to kill any bacteria. Sorry I may have disappointed you with my answer. I'm not use to getting low knowledge ratings. I should have been clearer. Food cools slowly in a container with a depth of more than 2 inches. If it doesn't cool quickly that gives bacteria time to grow. If you don't bring the heat up to at least a simmer the bacteria can survive causing off flavors like a rancid taste. I'll try harder for you if you ever have any more questions. Your questions were great.
Vittorio

Postby Bssil » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:46 pm

2 days ago I made a home made chicken soup using defrosted chicken(defrosted in microwave)fresh carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, butternut squash, canned corn and green beans and small box of dry noodles. I've made this a hundred times. I cooked it for about 2 hours and we enjoyed it for dinner-no problems. I put it in the fridge in the covered stock pot after it cooled.Last night I put the pot on the stove and heated it to hot but not boiling, as I was taking some to a friend-I ran out of time so I put some in a plastic container and gave it to my friend. When I got home my husband was eating the soup(several large bowls) and I ate several bowls. It sat on the stove for an hour. As I went to put it in a plastic container to store,I removed lid, it smelled sort of bad and looked yeasty bubbley. I tasted it and it tasted bad-rancid. I threw it out. Any Ideas. My husband and I never got sick but I havent gotten a hold of my friend. Thanks

ANSWER: This is not a food poisoning issue but an issue with quality. You can get a stomach ache and gastrointestinal upset from spoiled and rancid food but it's not as serious and it should go away relatively quickly. Food poisoning symptoms generally take at least 48 hours or more to develop. Tell your friend to throw it out.The soup got rancid because you cooled it too slowly because you did it in a stockpot. This gave bacteria time to grow. Luckily it was spoilage bacteria. ---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

I've cooled it the same way for years, the only difference was the pot. It's the first time I've used this flimsy aluminum stock pot. I've always used a heavier non stick coated dutch oven. Could it have something to do with the pot?
Bssil

Return to Drug Laws