Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Why can't celebrities sue gossip sites for slander?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby westbroc90 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 am

Some of these gossip sites make up obvious lies about people....But they never get sued....Why is this?
westbroc90

Postby khalid » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:51 am

Some of these gossip sites make up obvious lies about people....But they never get sued....Why is this?
They do occasionally if they go too far, or if the gossip is very malicious. Suing though requires court costs and court time, etc. If they sued every little thing, they'd have no time for a career. We live in a society with free speech, people can print nearly anything they like, true or false.

Many celebrities who do win defamation cases donate their payout to charity.

One thing that does rib me is all the numerous anonymous 'sources' these gossip articles refer to. They should just be brave enough to come out and say who they are.
khalid

Postby adaya » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 am

I always thought it was because they don't want to get the media off side. If they become an enemy of the the media then they will likely get slandered more and more, nothing positive will ever be written about them and constant bad photos published. I figure the media kinda band together on this one.
adaya

Postby emek » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:09 am

They do...all the time.

We just never hear about most of them because celebrities don't want to bring attention to what was said about them which, in addition, brings publicity to the rag.
emek

Return to Defamation Law