Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Which is the best state of the US to look for a job being a foreign national?

Talk about immigration laws here

Postby demarco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 am

Hello, I'm a latinamerican born in Argentina (Buenos Aires) and i've got a professional degree as an accountant i study 5 years at the UBA (University of Buenos Aires) and i have 3 years of experience. According to the standards of the H-1B visa i qualify for one but i don't want to steal the job to an american (US Citizen) so i'm wondering where is the best state to get a job of CPA? Could be Florida? or Idaho? Maybe Montana? Thanks for your answers!

PS: According to my immigration lawyer i can travel to the US with a tourist visa (B-1) and send my resume (that way if i get a job offer i can change my status from tourist to special worker no law would be broke), i can also pay for my visa tramits (the 5 thousand dollars asked for the USCIS).

If you wonder why i'd like to get a h-1b visa is because that way (if get one) i can apply for a green card.

Try to answer honestly thank you!
demarco

Postby dana » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 am

You will need to leave the US to get any H1B visa ... they are only issued outside of the US ...

The employer has to pay by law for most of the visa costs ...
You cannot apply for a green card ..the company has to do that ...
and it can take 8+ years
dana

Postby pete » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 am

Things are tough all over. Try a big city.
pete

Postby demarco » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:23 am

Someone suggested big cities. They are the places with the highest unemployment and the biggest debt, I know Chicago has a very high unemployment rate. Besides, big cities have too many people going for the same jobs. Try Iowa. The unemployment rate there is the one of the lowest in the country. The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the states with the lowest unemployment: http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oG7ng8_BBN4CoAnThXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1ODBpazk5BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1NNRTAxNF8xNTg-/SIG=11s2eqk3l/EXP=1293045180/**http%3a//www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
Jupiter is right, too. There are many unemployed accountants, so it may not be too easy for you to find work here. Good luck.
demarco

Postby fitche » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 am

Big cities (New York, Chicago, LA, Houston, etc.). The unemployment rate is pretty high now so its unlikely (but far from impossible) that an employer would want to risk hiring a foreign national when there is probably a citizen that can be hired.
fitche

Postby freedom97 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:35 am

Unlikely, not because you dont have the skills but because the employer has to prove that no american can do your job, there are a lot of unemplyed accountants.

But you can try, I would email every place you can find and tell them you need sponsorship and see what happens.
freedom97

Return to Immigration Law