Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

What to do if I'm being sued over a facebook comment?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby chen12 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:46 am

My ex bestfriend is gay and he was openly sexual with many partners he came to me and some other people about a guy he had been with. said that this guy had HIV and that he had, had sex with him. So for months I tried to get my best friend to get tested, when he turned to alcohol and drugs and would no longer listen to me, i turned to his family and asked them to help him! they thanked me and said they would do anything and everything to help him! this caused a huge problem between my best friend and i and another girl and i got into a joking conversation on my best friends facebook wall ( i know this is seriously so dramatic) anyways, me and this girl were going back and forth saying have fun at your job your a loser.. blah blah blah now i don't remember what exactly i said but i think i remember telling my best friends NEW friend to have fun dealing with his problems and his HIV im not sure if i said it like that... im not sure if i even said HIV.. but i'm being sued for slander and i'm not sure what to do. i'm not sure what he can do i know he printed out that conversation, and has sense written nasty things on his wall about me and such! and i've saved them, but he's now sueing me for this and i need some advice!
chen12

Postby gervaso81 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 am

The best thing to do really is to apologize and take it like a man! I mean, you did something wrong, you will pay the price, it's not like you are going to prison or anything, but it is slander and the laws are there to protect people from that so the only thing you can do is make sure everyone knows (in court) you've learned your lesson.

Good luck!
gervaso81

Postby dubh35 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:53 am

The best thing to do really is to apologize and take it like a man! I mean, you did something wrong, you will pay the price, it's not like you are going to prison or anything, but it is slander and the laws are there to protect people from that so the only thing you can do is make sure everyone knows (in court) you've learned your lesson.

Good luck!
If the Person Does Sue you the best thing would be to go and appologzize and Remember Once you post something everybody can read it and remember what mite be funny to you mite not be funny to somebody else
dubh35

Postby hrafn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:02 am

If it is the truth, it is not slander. He can still sue, so hire a lawyer and let the court decide.
hrafn

Postby aenedleah10 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:06 am

Wow something you can do is delete your facebook and apologize and convince him not to sue
aenedleah10

Postby darik » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:13 am

O god
darik

Return to Defamation Law