Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

What The Process To Invent...

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Postby Lindley » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:39 pm

What the process to invent something through the process of selling it. I think I have a great idea, but I need someone knowledgable in electronics to help me. It's very simple  but I think it will sell very well.  
Lindley

Postby Brewer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:51 am

This is a huge question! Actually about 100 questions all wrapped into one. An analogy would be to say, "What is the process of going to a university all the way through to graduating with a bachelor's degree." Nevertheless, let me give you some insight. If you are serious about taking your invention from beginning to end, frankly there is only one suggestion I can make. You have to learn all you can and all that it takes to do it right. Most inventors stumble for years until they understand the principles behind invention and new product development. If you want to become an expert, one option is to take a 10 month training course at Patents in Commerce and at the end you can have your invention ready for commercialization. This is lightning speed, because it usually takes 2-3 years to get any new product launched. Patents in Commerce training is at http://www.patentsincommerce.com Another option is to learn on your own by reading books and so on. Either way, learning is right at the heart of invention. In fact, securing patent protection is referred to as "discoveries" and "teachings".

Don't let the time factor discourage you. It may be a lot of work, but it's sure a lot of fun and nothing's more exciting than seeing your creations on the market.

Now, here are some details of what you need to learn. Start out by protecting your invention. The United States is a "first-to-invent" country, not "first-to-file". Thus, you can establish your first-to-invent rights by properly writing an invention disclosure to establish your "date of original conception" and then keep proper records as you "follow through and reduce it to practice". In other words, show that it works the way you say that it works. This can be by descriptive writing and relevant drawings or by the building of a functional prototype. There are many prototypers around the country that can help with electronic related products. It's not nearly as difficult as it may sound. For instance, they could make a mock-up of a remote control device out of a solid plastic block with a few buttons that fits in your hand. Wires lead into a shoe box that contain the functional electronic components. I would suggest doing an Internet search for one in your region. If your invention is something that is costly to prototype, you'll want to have drawings made instead. Such as a large piece of machinery.

You can also file a provisional patent application in a timely manner for only $80. This gives the invention a "patent pending" status for one year. By the end of the year, you will want to file the permanent patent application, which will give you the balance of 20 years protection, once issued. If you are near a library, check out my book, From Patent to Profit. It'll show you how to write a provisional patent application. It is not that difficult to write since the legal claims are not included. A competent patent attorney should write claims. It is wise to develop your concept sufficiently so that you know that the content in your permanent patent application is going to cover the best, most marketable aspects of the invention. This is part of the wisdom of filing a provisional patent application in the beginning instead of the more costly permanent application. It is frequently the case when developing inventions that they will go through a metamorphosis and will usually end out being something different than what was originally developed. In other words, you will have designed around the original concept. Also, make sure you do a patent search early on so that you know that you have a patentable invention to begin with. Go to my web site at http://www.frompatenttoprofit.com and you can link to all the best search sites. Once you have developed your invention to an understandable, marketable concept, you can use a simple--but professionally written--invention summary(New Product Summary), to contact potential partners in the field of your invention. You can talk with them over the phone and see who might be interested. Those that want to pursue it further will then sign one of your confidentiality agreements so you can reveal the inventive matter. Since your invention includes some electronis that you are not familiar with, you would be wise to find a partner in the industry in order to develop the technology. Please visit my Web site to get a better feel for the invention development processes. Best wishes, Bob  
Brewer

Postby Harlowe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:28 pm

What the process to invent something through the process of selling it. I think I have a great idea, but I need someone knowledgable in electronics to help me. It's very simple  but I think it will sell very well.  
Harlowe

Return to Patents & Trademarks