Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

What does a corporate lawyer do?

Corporate Law Discussions

Postby cleirach70 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:48 am

I'm currently an English major, thinking about going to law school. I've also been thinking about becoming a corporate lawyer. What exactly do they do, I've heard a bit about this career, but I want to know more. Do you need to know a ton of math, like calculus and trigonometry? What's a day in the life of a corporate lawyer, and is it an interesting career?
cleirach70

Postby shipley » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:55 am

Hey Michael,

You won't need to know any of that, although some knowledge of business/finance is always useful.

Most of your work will be researching issues that arise during normal corporate operations, writing memos/briefs on those legal topics, and sitting in on deals at times (though don't count on this early in your career). Also, you'll be doing a TON of doc review.

As you become more senior, you'll be in charge of more important things (like the deals I mentioned before, advising the corporations on what they should/can and shouldn't/can't do).

Overall, though, it's a pretty broad field and you'll be doing most of the tasks traditionally associated with lawyer, save criminal defense.

Good luck!
shipley

Postby matyas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:57 am

If you're an English major thinking of corporate law, see if you can do an internship or similar in the corporate law or regulatory affairs department of a major corporation. You'll be able to use that experience to see what they do from day to day.

Corporate law really varies, and tends to be specialized. So if you were into math and finance, you could become a corporate lawyer who deals with those subjects, quite specifically (although you'd want to be getting your undergrad degree in something math or finance related, not in English). But if you'd prefer to focus on something that's not math re: the law, you'd do so. It's really your choice, and there are a lot of fields within corporate law that you'd have open to you, if math isn't your area of speciality.
matyas

Postby oz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 am

Nope .... basicly a corporate lawyer is the same as a normal lawyer with the exception that they ONLY deal with buisness eg you would find a corporatre lawyer in places like tesco b&q and all mayjor hight street shops
oz

Postby hardin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:13 am

You need to know NO math for being a corporate lawyer. It's pretty boring s***. You just go to meetings and read contracts and cr** like that.
hardin

Return to Corporate Law