Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

What can you do if someone breaks into your house?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby ingel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 pm

The houses in my area have been broken into and the police are very unreliable as they are an hour way and take about 30 minutes to get here. I have weapons in my house, just don't know If I allowed to use them to defend my property or not.
I am trained in fighting and defense, and could probably take down anyone that doesn't use a gun. But again, I don't know if I would be allowed to defend myself or fight if someone breaks in, I want to follow the Ohio Laws, but dont know what they are. Usually I am sitting on the couch when someone breaks in, I obviously have no time to get away from the door and make it to a safe room.

Just tell me what I can do while following the Ohio laws if someone breaks into my house and has bad intentions?
ingel

Postby atworth49 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:43 pm

shoot them and tell the police you feared for you life, it's that easy.
atworth49

Postby amdt57 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Well let me say this. Legally, you are allowed any neccesary actions that will prevent you from being harmed. If someone breaks in and you try to stop him, take any actions in self defense against the intruder. If it gets horribly serious, you could actually stab or shoot the man /woman if your life is at risk. Just be careful and keep a weapon or two at quick use. Hope you stay safe
amdt57

Postby erwin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Uh if your life is threatened, you gotta do what you gotta do. Not sure of Ohio's laws, but I believe that if they have a gun/and or are shooting at you, you definitely have the right to take lethal action.
erwin

Postby jung-hwa75 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm pretty sure if someone breaks into your home you have the right to take em out.

Example: A woman and her kid were in their home and two men tried to break in. She called the cops while this was going on and asked them if it was okay if she tried to fire her gun at them in defense. He pretty much said lets try and not have that happen but she is allowed to in defense. In the end she killed one of them, and the other was arrested. It turns out they were both high on drugs and one had a knife prepped in his person to harm her and her child with.
True story.
jung-hwa75

Postby bearchan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 pm

If you have a "Castle Doctrine" law in your state you can shoot to kill..
bearchan

Postby muireach » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Colorado and Texas are the best states if you did ended up shooting a bugler. They have a MAKE MY DAY LAW check it out I really like it and all states should follow. In any case If you see a person breaking in and you get really mad and shoot them you could be charged with a 187pc Murder. Only when someone breaks in your house and you fear for your life then you have the right to use deadly force. My professor in college explained it best. Always say you shot them to stop them never say to kill them. And you must first fear for your life before using a firearm. Im not sure you should even have a firearm if you didn't know that kind of answer before buying a firearm. Taking a life is a serious matter and Get educated in the when and when not to use it because you could spend the rest of your life in prison if you make a mistake.Personally If people would defend their homes and blow the head off of the burglars then maybe these punks would stop breaking in homes. I can't stand a thief.
muireach

Return to Property Law