Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

What can i do about my ex mother in law talking crap about me in front of my kid?

Family Law Discussion Forum

What can i do about my ex mother in law talking crap about me in front of my kid?

Postby nann » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:36 am

My ex has primary custody of my daunter in florida. I keep hearing from her family and friends, as well as from my own daughter, that she talks very openly about how horrible of a person she thinks i am. In our custody agreement it states one parent can't talk badly of the other but says nothing about anyone else.
nann

Postby marmion » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:40 am

talk to your ex about it in a calm, non-confrontational manner and ask if he'd speak to his mother about it.
marmion

Postby gilleabart » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:46 am

you need to sit down with her and straight up tell her to keep her damn mouth shut, at the very least in front of your child. she has no place saying that infront of your child and that is very rude. if your ex husband doesnt already know, fill him in and if he doesnt care, take it up with higher power, saying that it might do harm on the childs esteem
gilleabart

Postby wahchintonka48 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:59 am

If I were you, and there's a line of communication open, I'd speak to my ex about it. He knows it's going on and he knows it's wrong, so appeal to his good judgment. This is harming his daughter. Make it simple and perhaps he'll step up.

If, on the other hand, he's a mama's boy he may feel completely unable to confront his mother. Suggest that he make it as non-confrontational as possible or let his mother know that he's going to limit her exposure to the child.

If you and he are like oil and water when you speak, write him a letter (not an email) with the above points included and hope for the best.
wahchintonka48

Postby dana » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:11 am

Contact your lawyer right away about this matter. I'm sure since you have an agreement about parents badmouthing each other,there's something in there that extends it to others. Check it out, if not then I'm sure your lawyer can do something about it.
dana

Postby kienan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:16 am

There is little that you can do about a caustic ex mother in-law who has it out for you but there is plenty you can about winning and keeping your daughter's heart. Be the best parent you can possibly be. Love your daughter will all of your heart. Your actions will more than off-set what the ex mother in-law has to say. Eventually your daughter will see through the poison and will start to question the ex mother in-law. Children have a way of seeing through a venomous heart.
kienan

Postby archy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:17 am

First of all, there is no realistic way you can truly stop anyone from saying what they are going to say. People who are filled with hate and verbal bile will sooner or later be found out and their personality all but seals their social fate.

If it were me, I would not worry about that which I have little or no control over. I would continue to live an honorable life and conduct myself is such a manor that would make my children proud of me. After all, the things which we DO in this life greatly outweigh the things which are being said.

You want your kids to know and remember you as a kind a loving man who has the wisdom to keep negativism away from your children and to impart only kindness and consideration for everyone and everything.

And soon your children will say, “I love dad, no matter what you say”
archy

Postby pete » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:22 am

You can do nothing. Does your daughter believe it? Id she does not she will eventually despise and cut out the grandmother from her life. She is obviously a lowlife scum herself to speak that way in front of a child.
pete

Return to Family Law