Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

What are the tree laws in Chicago, IL.?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby clem84 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:36 pm

We have a neighbor that has several trees that overhang into our property and drops hundreds of berries onto our drive way in which the berries stain our drive way. We several times daily clean them up. What can be done about this. Also i know we can self-help to cut the branches that overhang into our property but yet not to cross over to there property to cut any further than at the property line. The neighbors are also very unwilling people that will talk or even hear a person out. I would like to know what can be done legally and what if any would get the message out to them.
clem84

Postby pannoowau » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Call 311. I do not *think* anything can be done beyond what you have mentioned. You can't make them cut it down, you can't make them clean your drive.
pannoowau

Postby modraed » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 pm

A technicality of the law in IL. But if they become very upset. You can cut to 6 inch's of your property line. Same as a fence with out neighbors approval. Must be 6 inch's in your property line. In case of a mistake on survey. But if it is on your property. It is very hard to press that. This sounds like mulberry's Slip out at night and drive a copper stake into it. Slow but deadly. Or dig a trench on your side near the tree. 3 foot from it. And fill with copper sulfate. And cover with 2 inch's of gravel. Let that get to the roots.
modraed

Return to Property Law