Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

What are my chances of getting into the coast guard?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby darik » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi everyone, so I am looking at joining the Coast Guard and am wondering what my chances are at getting accepted into boot camp. I am 24yrs old, have an associates degree in criminal justice, no criminal background, physically fit (runner) and in high school scored a 65 on the ASVAB. I also recently became an Auxillary Police Office for the city I live in. I spoke with a recruiter and have an appointment to go talk with him, but he mentioned they are only taking 20 people for November's boot camp from SE Michigan. I want to make a career out of the CG eventually as an ME and hope to be able to start. I have always wanted to work in law enforcement and was going to do teh police academy, however with lay offs in my area increasing the Coast Guard seems like a better choice for me. I am engaged and hoping this can be a great career start for my future family. Any advice on how and what to do to have the best chances of getting accepted? Thanks
darik

Postby baigh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Join the Navy instead and see the world not just the great lakes http://www.navy.com/careers.html
baigh

Postby ricard83 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Just try your hardest during the boot camp. Exercise A LOT prior to that.
ricard83

Postby syvwkh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:33 pm

@Pirate - You know not of which you speak, So don't provide advice that is ridiculous.

To the OP - The CG is worldwide. There are Coasties currently serving in Afghanistan, Iraq & Bahrain. There are Coasties stationed in Saipan, Guam and Rotterdam. We are all over the coasts and Alaska and Hawaii. We are also on the Great Lakes and the rivers and a few other lakes as well. You will have ample time to see the world. You will need to take the ASVAB again, they are only good for 2 years. You want to get the best possible score. 99 is the best you can get... aim for that. The CG has always been more selective because they are small and they can afford to be. You will be given far more opportunities as a junior enlisted than if you were to go into the Navy. If you want to actually speak to real Coasties and not people like Pirate that have no clue what they are talking about... WWW.USCG.ORG That is a forum of active duty Coast Guardsman, including recruiters. They will be happy to answer your questions honestly.

It is a very good, rewarding life. I wish you the best of luck.
syvwkh

Return to Defamation Law