Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Warrant In Debt For Paid Medical Bill

Discuss the legalities of Bankruptcy Law

Postby Barry » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:35 am

I live in Virginia.  In the past 2 years, I have undergone 3 surgeries myself and my daughter had her gall bladder removed.  All of these procedures were unexpected.  As a result, I accrued around $9,000 in medical debt.  I have done nothing but pay medical bills since.  I took last year's tax return and paid as many as I could. I continued paying off as many as I could in between and paid all but one bill off with this year's tax return.  I am currently making payments on the final medical bill.  I received a Warrant in Debt a week ago for two hospital bills(same hospital) that were included in the payment I just made with this year's tax return. Court is scheduled for this Wednesday.  When I received the warrant in debt, I called the number listed on the Warrant in Debt under the Hospital's name and it was answered by CBC...a collection agency.  They stated that their client(the hospital) reported that the debt was indeed paid, but informed me that I still need to pay the court and attorney's fees.  They have refused to cancel the court hearing even though there is no longer a debt owed to the hospital. Do I owe the court/attorney fees for a debt that is paid? Can the collection agency even charge me for these...they aren't even who I owed the money to? What are my options?
Barry

Postby Lenny » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:32 pm

This would be a question for an attorney but, I believe that since they have already filed the paperwork then they have already spent the money and would be entitled to ask for you to pay them back.  I am sorry to hear of all of your misfortune and hope things get better for you.
Lenny

Postby Devion » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:05 pm

I live in Virginia.  In the past 2 years, I have undergone 3 surgeries myself and my daughter had her gall bladder removed.  All of these procedures were unexpected.  As a result, I accrued around $9,000 in medical debt.  I have done nothing but pay medical bills since.  I took last year's tax return and paid as many as I could. I continued paying off as many as I could in between and paid all but one bill off with this year's tax return.  I am currently making payments on the final medical bill.  I received a Warrant in Debt a week ago for two hospital bills(same hospital) that were included in the payment I just made with this year's tax return. Court is scheduled for this Wednesday.  When I received the warrant in debt, I called the number listed on the Warrant in Debt under the Hospital's name and it was answered by CBC...a collection agency.  They stated that their client(the hospital) reported that the debt was indeed paid, but informed me that I still need to pay the court and attorney's fees.  They have refused to cancel the court hearing even though there is no longer a debt owed to the hospital. Do I owe the court/attorney fees for a debt that is paid? Can the collection agency even charge me for these...they aren't even who I owed the money to? What are my options?
Devion

Return to Bankruptcy Law