Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Warrant And Id

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Warrant And Id

Postby Lucius » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:20 pm

If I have a warrant in Florida for poss of Xanax and prescription fraud(well VOP on those charges) if I go to A West Virginia DMV to get a ID card will it pull up?

ANSWER: Hey, Tristan, I've never worked in either state, BUT, its pretty much the same nationwide. I'll answer your question with 2 answers. As far as going to W. VA. DMV, I wouldn't worry about any warrants popping up at all. This is pretty much because the folks/building at the DMV are not trained/equipped to handle anything involving arrests or prisoners. The only thing to keep in mind about getting a new ID. is that NOW your new address will be on file. This would be a concern if you were wanted on more serious charges, which brings me to the second answer.

Unless someone is wanted on more serious charges, the chances of you EVER being extradited from West VA. to Fla. are not very probable at all. This is how it works, as far as any cop running your name: the police computer will run your name locally, statewide, and nationally for any wants or warrants. A hit will come back for your warrant. Now, what's supposed to happen, is that you'll be transported the a police holding facility while the police send a 'Hit Confirmation' to the municipality in Fla. who entered the warrant into the computer. Then Fla. has only a few hours to respond saying either YES they want you(usually only for murder or major felonies) or NO they don't want you. Departments will take into consideration the seriousness of the warrant AND the distance(miles) that you are from them. Most places will nor pay to have someone extradited(back home where the warrant is frontier) any further that an adjacent state or anywhere more than 100 miles or so. Let me know if I've answered your question and how you make out.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Hey first off thank you so much for the information. I do however have some follow up questions. If W. Va. were to pick me up and Florida says no extradition would that be the end of it or would they take me every time they ran my name and go through the process again. Also is it up to the judge that was over my case to decide to extradite or not or is it someone else that would make the call? Will they even check for warrants when I go to get an ID? Thanks again Mr Patrick Heron, and I will for sure let you know what happens when I go to get my ID, that is as long as I make it back, lol.
Lucius

Warrant And Id

Postby Burhtun » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi, Tristan. You're quite welcome and thank YOU for that great review! Unfortunately, you may have to go through the inconvenience of getting 'taken in' each time the cops run your name. The only way that I know to end the madness, so to say, is to straighten the warrant out with Fla. Now what I have suggested to people up here in Philly, is to(if they do such a thing in W. Va.) ask for and carry with you, some type of documentation stating that the cops ALREADY checked on your warrant and Fla. will not extradite, in case of future run-ins with law enforcement. If they don't have any paperwork, etc to give you like that, then at least get the police incident report number that corresponds with them bringing you in to confirm the warrant. Every official thing that cops do is given a report number. So if they tell you that they are going to bring you in, MAYBE if you show them previous report number(s) ans possibly the warrant number, they MAY not haul you in again. I know that if someone convinced ME that bringing them in is a waste everyone's time,  I know I SURE as heck would let them go. As far as who decides to allow extradition or not, yes, some warrants ARE labeled 'Judge Only', meaning that you sit in jail until the judge sees you,   it is STILL usually a financial thing about how much it will COST(distance/manpower) and seriousness of the crime, TO bring you back or not. And, again,  I Definitely wouldn't sweat going to get an ID, AT ALL, although I couldn't guarantee it since not all cities are like Philly.
Burhtun

Warrant And Id

Postby Bucky » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:57 am

If I have a warrant in Florida for poss of Xanax and prescription fraud(well VOP on those charges) if I go to A West Virginia DMV to get a ID card will it pull up?

ANSWER: Hey, Tristan, I've never worked in either state, BUT, its pretty much the same nationwide. I'll answer your question with 2 answers. As far as going to W. VA. DMV, I wouldn't worry about any warrants popping up at all. This is pretty much because the folks/building at the DMV are not trained/equipped to handle anything involving arrests or prisoners. The only thing to keep in mind about getting a new ID. is that NOW your new address will be on file. This would be a concern if you were wanted on more serious charges, which brings me to the second answer.

Unless someone is wanted on more serious charges, the chances of you EVER being extradited from West VA. to Fla. are not very probable at all. This is how it works, as far as any cop running your name: the police computer will run your name locally, statewide, and nationally for any wants or warrants. A hit will come back for your warrant. Now, what's supposed to happen, is that you'll be transported the a police holding facility while the police send a 'Hit Confirmation' to the municipality in Fla. who entered the warrant into the computer. Then Fla. has only a few hours to respond saying either YES they want you(usually only for murder or major felonies) or NO they don't want you. Departments will take into consideration the seriousness of the warrant AND the distance(miles) that you are from them. Most places will nor pay to have someone extradited(back home where the warrant is frontier) any further that an adjacent state or anywhere more than 100 miles or so. Let me know if I've answered your question and how you make out.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Hey first off thank you so much for the information. I do however have some follow up questions. If W. Va. were to pick me up and Florida says no extradition would that be the end of it or would they take me every time they ran my name and go through the process again. Also is it up to the judge that was over my case to decide to extradite or not or is it someone else that would make the call? Will they even check for warrants when I go to get an ID? Thanks again Mr Patrick Heron, and I will for sure let you know what happens when I go to get my ID, that is as long as I make it back, lol.
Bucky

Return to Traffic Law