Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Vacation Time Upon Buy Out

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Garlyn » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:04 pm

A company has just bought the company I work for out, we have vacation time that will e available in 2 weeks, the company that bought us said that we are no longer entitled to this vacation time because thy set a cutoff date prior to our 1 year anniversary. Is this legal or allowable
Garlyn

Postby Ubel » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:35 pm

This really depends a lot on which state you work in. The federal labor laws do not address vacation time. It is a fringe benefit and is left between the employer and the employee. Some states(very few) have rules on vacation pay. I really do not think a new company is obligated to honor the vacation pay of the former company. They are generally allowed to set their own vacation policy.

Your state Department of Labor would be the governing agency for labor laws in your state. If a vacation law exists it would be a state law and it would be enforced by your state department of labor. I suggest to you that you call your state department of labor and see if they can help you with this.

Shirley
Ubel

Postby teiji60 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:12 pm

A company has just bought the company I work for out, we have vacation time that will e available in 2 weeks, the company that bought us said that we are no longer entitled to this vacation time because thy set a cutoff date prior to our 1 year anniversary. Is this legal or allowable
teiji60

Return to Labor Laws