Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Using Sports Teams Names On T-shirts.

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Postby otis » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:47 am

Hello Margy. I am wondering if there is a trademark law against me using just a name of a sports team on a t-shirt. Not the Logo, really just a name in the general color. I actually wouldn't even be writing the name as it appears officially with the team. Just the name. I am wondering about all teams in NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA as well as college names too.

Then, as a seperate idea, is it legal to take the name/logo TAPOUT, and put in different words than TAPOUT but in the shape of their logo? It wouldn't be used for MMA purposes, just a funny T-shirt idea.

Thank you in advance and please ask me any questions you need to answer these questions.
otis

Postby Hewett » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:13 am

Hi. Great question about use of a trademarked name of a sports team on a t-shirt. When I think of all the pro teams that I follow and their trademarked merchandise, of course all of it is done within the design guidelines set forth by the teams. Part of what makes the apparel item valuable, in the eyes of the consumer, is that the item does in fact look like the authentic typestyle of the team. I wouldn't be caught dead in a shirt that didn't look like the true logo. What's the point in wearing a shirt that looks somewhat like the authentic logo. Hmmmm. Not sure what kind of market you would have for shirts that don't carry the exact color scheme and typestyle found in the authentic team logo. Colleges have, similarly to pro teams, very strict guidelines for use of college names, logos and likeness. As for TAPOUT and the MMA...whoa, I wouldn't want to mess with them. J/K really, I think that your second question is similar to the first. You want to use the name without paying the company any royalty or rights fees. Why not approach TAPOUT with your idea? Who knows they may be looking for a fresh approach to their brand building initiatives. Give it a whirl. There are lots of good resources available and lots of good legal resources available starting with the United States Trademark Office to get even more clarification on the use of images, logos, etc. Good luck! Yours in the sport economy, Margy Lang  
Hewett

Postby Cystennin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Hello Margy. I am wondering if there is a trademark law against me using just a name of a sports team on a t-shirt. Not the Logo, really just a name in the general color. I actually wouldn't even be writing the name as it appears officially with the team. Just the name. I am wondering about all teams in NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA as well as college names too.

Then, as a seperate idea, is it legal to take the name/logo TAPOUT, and put in different words than TAPOUT but in the shape of their logo? It wouldn't be used for MMA purposes, just a funny T-shirt idea.

Thank you in advance and please ask me any questions you need to answer these questions.
Cystennin

Return to Patents & Trademarks