Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Using Song Titles In Advertising

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Postby Rawls » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:07 pm

Hello,

i’m in the process of designing a print and online advertising campaign for an awards ceremony. I am considering using song titles as the headers on a series of ads, these will be relevant to the content of the ad, for instance an ad inviting people to vote may have a song title connected to ‘voting’ or ‘taking part’ or ‘having your say’ etc.

Would this be a copyright issue? Would i have to request permission from the songwriters? I’m based in the UK though the advertising could be in international magazines as well as the internet

Thank you.
Rawls

Postby Bheathain » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:53 pm

Hello,

i’m in the process of designing a print and online advertising campaign for an awards ceremony. I am considering using song titles as the headers on a series of ads, these will be relevant to the content of the ad, for instance an ad inviting people to vote may have a song title connected to ‘voting’ or ‘taking part’ or ‘having your say’ etc.

Would this be a copyright issue? Would i have to request permission from the songwriters? I’m based in the UK though the advertising could be in international magazines as well as the internet

Thank you.
Bheathain

Postby Wright » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:39 am

Hello,

As you may have read, I am not really a copyright expert, but I am a patent expert.

Nevertheless I have some knowledge of copyright, and I believe that you will have a copyright issue. I believe that the use of the songs(song titles) for advertising purposes may already violate the copyright of the songs(song titles). Apart from that, the owners of copyrighted material also have a "droit moral"(moral right) for their work. This means that you are not allowed to use copyrighted material for a purpose that the copyright owner would allow.

I can imagine that using the work for advertising purposes would be against the will of copyright owners.

As stated above, I have some, but no extensive knowledge of copyright, so to be certain, you should consult a lawyer, specialized in copyright law.

Kind regards,

Rene Hasekamp.
Wright

Return to Patents & Trademarks