Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Use Of Government Logo's

Business Law discussions

Use Of Government Logo's

Postby vanaken25 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:46 pm

I make customized glass bowls. I have just received a request to make a retirement gift for someone from a Department of the US Government. They have requested that I put the logo of that Department on the bowl. What I'm concerned about is whether it is legal for me to put a Government logo on an item that I am going to sell, even though it would be a one time customization for an employee of that department. I've tried to find information online but I'm just not sure where to look.

Thank you in advance for any information you can offer.
vanaken25

Use Of Government Logo's

Postby Jameson » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:08 pm

I make customized glass bowls. I have just received a request to make a retirement gift for someone from a Department of the US Government. They have requested that I put the logo of that Department on the bowl. What I'm concerned about is whether it is legal for me to put a Government logo on an item that I am going to sell, even though it would be a one time customization for an employee of that department. I've tried to find information online but I'm just not sure where to look.

Thank you in advance for any information you can offer.
Jameson

Use Of Government Logo's

Postby Urbano » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:56 am

Melinda,

Check out this website:  http://www.usa.gov/copyright.shtml .  It indicates that "You cannot use U.S. government trademarks or the logos of U.S. government agencies without permission." Accordingly, you should get ask your customer to help you get this approval and you should get it in writing.

Check out http://bradyadvisor.wordpress.com for informative articles on business legal issues.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is NOT to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions, and the transmission of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship between sender and reader. Internet subscribers and online readers should NOT act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.
Urbano

Return to Business Law