Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Unrefrigerated Cheese

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Unrefrigerated Cheese

Postby taryn31 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:38 am

I work in a food store where we sell cheese and tomato toasties. They are stored on an unrefrigerated shelf and given a four hour shelf life however they management often change the time if they are unsold to prevent profit waste. I recently ate one that had been on the shelf for at least 6 hours and that evening fell ill, feeling nauseous, vomitting and had a headache. The cheese is jarlsberg, is it unsafe to store in a warm shelf? And how long should it be left before disposal?
taryn31

Unrefrigerated Cheese

Postby Fearchar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Your symptoms came on too quickly to be food poisoning. You may have had a reaction to the food that gave you an intestinal upset. If it was food poisoning you would be very ill by now. You should visit a health care professional to be sure. As far as the food being left out hard cheeses like Jarlsberg are not likely to support the growth of dangerous bacteria. Even though 4 hours is the rule for refrigeration there is a safety factor of 2 hours built in so it can actually stay out 6 hours and still be safe. The management of your operation is acting irresponsibly as they are not following food safety rules. I would challenge them about this. If you had intestinal upset it should have passed by now. Hope you are feeling better.
Fearchar

Return to Legal Malpractice