Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   


Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

U.s. Citizen Married To German Citizen

Talk about immigration laws here

U.s. Citizen Married To German Citizen

Postby Bartle » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:10 pm

I am a U.S. citizen married to a German citizen since 2003. We have lived apart since 2009 when I came back to the U.S. as my husband and I both agreed I could finish college work and prepare his move to the U.S. in the future.

Up to this point, he has been supporting me and my daughter(his stepchild) financially.  He is currently collecting Kindergeld although I had advised him to discontinue doing so, as we are no longer living in Germany.  

He has recently removed all contact from me, no longer taking my calls nor answering e-mails.  I fear that he has also blocked my bank card and therefore I am unable to shoulder my personal needs until I have found work to supplement the money he used to support me with.  

I would like to know what, if any, rights I have as far as any financial support and with whom I may contact in Germany.  

Thank you for your time,

Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:48 pm

U.s. Citizen Married To German Citizen

Postby Derrance » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:28 pm

Hello Lisa,

that's quite a tough situation, also from the legal standpoint:

1. Because your daughter is not his, he has no financial obligation to her. The mere fact of voluntarily having done so in the past does not constitute any obligation for the future.

2. You yourself could be eligibly for spousal support(the amount of which would depend on both your incomes and expenditures) because you are married. I say "could" because this claim usually becomes less strong and eventually fades away the longer a couple are separated. In your case, you would need to argue that the physical separation did not mean a romantic and legal separation but that it had been agreed upon and that the legal separation only began once your husband ceased contact.

3. At first, you or an attorney would contact your husband. If he remains unresponsive, there is no other option than going to a Family Court in Germany.

Andreas Moser


Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:49 am

Return to Immigration Law


  • Related topics
    Last post