Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Treaty Reservations; International Law?

Corporate Law Discussions

Treaty Reservations; International Law?

Postby zadok » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:07 pm

I already took the test, so feel free to expound your expertise. I cannot find the answer, or perhaps I'm overlooking it, tired from lack of sleep.

What are the issues and resolve them:

Venezuela and Colombia have a treaty. Colombia takes a domestic jurisdiction reservation to the treaty in regard to the International Court of Justice. Venezuela then takes a reciprocity domestic jurisdiction reservation to the treaty in regard to the International Court of Justice. Somewhere in the future these two states have a squabble (I'm assuming one which violates treaty obligations), and Colombia makes a case to the ICJ, but Venezuela refuses to go.

The answer I put down is that Venezuela will have to go to the ICJ because I got really, really confused during the test........I've been doing a lot of cramming.

Please help!! I think my answer is wrong. What is a "reciprocity" reservation (the one made by Venezuela)? And why did Colombia take the initial reservation.....under whose jurisdiction did Colombia desire to resolve disputes? Regarding Venezuela's "reciprocity" reservation, under whose jurisdiction do they now desire to resolve disputes? Where does the treaty stand?
zadok

Return to Corporate Law