Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Transporting Body Out Of Texas

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Postby Albie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:28 am

I am a social worker at a hospital in Texas - We have had several instances lately where parents of a deceased infant wish to take the baby's body either home(in Texas) to bury it or transport to another state for burial.  I know that to transport a body they must have a Burial Transport Permit, but does Texas allow a body to be buried on private property and can a body be transported across state lines without the assistance of a funeral home? We did not know if we could just release a body from the hospital to a family member. I am having a horrible time finding an answer about the laws in Texas and I appreciate your help!
Albie

Postby Struthers » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:41 am

How wonderful that you are so sensitive to this. E-mail me directly and I'll send you the TX chapter from the '98 edition of my book. Not a lot has changed since then. No, a body does not need to be embalmed or use a funeral director to cross state lines. Home burial is permissible in a rural area outside village or city limits. Draw a map of the land showing where the family graveyard will be and pay to have it recorded with the deed. Here is a link to a FEO newsletter article with an excellent hospital post-mortem protocol --

My direct e-mail is [email protected]

Oh, a Louisiana family may run into problems once in LA unless they go about a home burial quietly. I can send you that chapter, too.
Struthers

Postby Hwistlere » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:51 pm

I am a social worker at a hospital in Texas - We have had several instances lately where parents of a deceased infant wish to take the baby's body either home(in Texas) to bury it or transport to another state for burial.  I know that to transport a body they must have a Burial Transport Permit, but does Texas allow a body to be buried on private property and can a body be transported across state lines without the assistance of a funeral home? We did not know if we could just release a body from the hospital to a family member. I am having a horrible time finding an answer about the laws in Texas and I appreciate your help!
Hwistlere

Return to Consumer Law