Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Transfer After Academy

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Transfer After Academy

Postby Odhert » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:36 am

Hello Jason,  I have had a volunteer patrol position with my sheriff department for a little while now, and I love it! I live in Michigan and recently visited a friend in Indiana. While down there, I met some of the officers and talked to a Sergeant about riding with them for a while or doing an internship to see what it is like down there. In order to do so, I have to be a resident, so I also got information about the academy and am considering doing that. I love the area, but I am also happy where I live now and I'm not sure where I want to settle yet. I am wondering if I took the academy down in Indiana, and later decided that I wanted to move back to Michigan, would I have to complete the whole academy again? What if I took a job in Indiana as an officer and somewhere down the road wanted to move back to Michigan, would I be able to transfer without having to go through the academy a second time? Someone had mentioned something about going through an abbreviated academy when you transfer to a different state. Do you know how any of this works?

Also, I am in pretty good shape but is there anything you can recommend that I can do to prepare myself for the Physical Training part of the academy(I hear it is tough)? Any other advice about the academy?  

Thanks! Take Care

-Bailey
Odhert

Transfer After Academy

Postby Tucker » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:37 am

Hello Jason,  I have had a volunteer patrol position with my sheriff department for a little while now, and I love it! I live in Michigan and recently visited a friend in Indiana. While down there, I met some of the officers and talked to a Sergeant about riding with them for a while or doing an internship to see what it is like down there. In order to do so, I have to be a resident, so I also got information about the academy and am considering doing that. I love the area, but I am also happy where I live now and I'm not sure where I want to settle yet. I am wondering if I took the academy down in Indiana, and later decided that I wanted to move back to Michigan, would I have to complete the whole academy again? What if I took a job in Indiana as an officer and somewhere down the road wanted to move back to Michigan, would I be able to transfer without having to go through the academy a second time? Someone had mentioned something about going through an abbreviated academy when you transfer to a different state. Do you know how any of this works?

Also, I am in pretty good shape but is there anything you can recommend that I can do to prepare myself for the Physical Training part of the academy(I hear it is tough)? Any other advice about the academy?  

Thanks! Take Care

-Bailey
Tucker

Transfer After Academy

Postby Asaph » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 am

Bailey:  Good to hear from you!  Glad you are doing well these days!     Yes, most states will accept other states academies, after an abbreviated academy(sometimes called 'Comparative Compliance').  Basically, that is just a few weeks or a months worth of the 'new' state's laws and regulations.     I'd suggest for PT, trying to find out what the standards are in that state, and work towards them.  Or, the agency or the academy.  If you can't locate those, then I'd start by running.  If you can run 3 miles in a decent time(say, 21 minutes or so) that will help considerably.  Also, start doing crunches(100 in 2 minutes is a good thing to work towards) and pushups(40 in 2 minutes).   Once you can meet those standards, just increase them to push yourself.  You'll do fine!  And, good luck...keep me updated!

All the best,

Jason
Asaph

Return to Traffic Law