Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Traffic Ticket

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Traffic Ticket

Postby Gower » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:29 am

Traffic ticket...failure to stop at stop sign

I stopped at the stop sign but the officer said that my car did not go backwards which would define it as a complete stop. So it says on my ticket that i failed to stop. In NC 3 points! Its making it sound like I ran through a stop sign and I did not. I stopped dag nabit. So this is my first offense....do you think that I could get the case dropped? I really don't want to use my prayer for judgment...is that what you call it? what are my options? What would I say and who would I say it to?

I can't believe the officer said.."well i am not a lawyer but you can use your prayer for judgment"...I mean what the crap was that? why did you even give me the ticket?
Gower

Traffic Ticket

Postby Field » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Hey, Suzette, I'm really sorry to hear about your dilemna. It sounds like you definitely got stopped by a pretty hard nosed cop, who probably wouldn't give his own mother a break. Every department has them. My first thought/piece of advice would be what we normally tell people. In most states, they're more concerned with the money end of your situation, rather then the points. See if they'll offer you a deal. Basically, you're going to say to traffic court, in pretty much these exact words, "I'd like to make a deal. I am willing to plead guilty and pay the fine in exchange for a less serious offense with no points". I am jumping right to this option, Suzette, because, 1, I am assuming that your main concern is the points and, 2, unless you have some incredible, yet believable defense, it'll be your word against the officer's. And in most cases, the judge will take the officer's word. But, BELIEVE ME, I feel your frustration, feeling like your being unfairly punished.

Keeping in mind that it IS your first offense, you MAY have more luck on your side if you DO have some perfectly legitimate reason, an immediate  relative rushed to the hospital, or rushing home because your child was hurt, etc. Now, I've never heard of either using your prayer for judgement or the car going backwards to prove a complete stop before. Although, I understand what he's SAYING on the 2nd thing. But, again, unfortunately there are not many textbook defenses for a stop sign violation, short of it being a first violation with a completely reasonable explanation, which may cause the judge to throw the whole thing out with a not guilty verdict. Yes, you'd beat both the fines AND points, but your taking a risk. Its a risk because, if you plead not guilty, fight it & lose, now your stuck win fines AND points. If you chose the option above, about pleading guilty but with a deal, you'll have to pay a fine, HOWEVER, you'll incur no points, as well as no Stop Sign Violation on your record, which would increase your inousurance rates for a few years.

Suzette, let me know if I've answered your questions, good luck & feel free to keep me posted.
Field

Traffic Ticket

Postby Choilleich » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:55 am

Traffic ticket...failure to stop at stop sign

I stopped at the stop sign but the officer said that my car did not go backwards which would define it as a complete stop. So it says on my ticket that i failed to stop. In NC 3 points! Its making it sound like I ran through a stop sign and I did not. I stopped dag nabit. So this is my first offense....do you think that I could get the case dropped? I really don't want to use my prayer for judgment...is that what you call it? what are my options? What would I say and who would I say it to?

I can't believe the officer said.."well i am not a lawyer but you can use your prayer for judgment"...I mean what the crap was that? why did you even give me the ticket?
Choilleich

Return to Traffic Law