Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Traffic Officer

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Traffic Officer

Postby Honorato » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:43 am

I am from NY. Can a traffic officer stop a moving car and give a ticket? I was stopped by a traffic officer and given a ticket because I stopped at interception and caused the traffic.(The only thing the traffic officer forgot to mention that I was letting the old lady with a stroller to pass at the interception, although it was my green light but I could not overrun her.) My question.

1) Can a traffic officer stop me and do I have to stop?

2) If yes, do I have to provide my drivers license if asked to?

2) Is the fact that he misspelled my last name by missing a letter on a ticket is irrelevant? Thank you very much for you advice. Thank you a lot

Kind Regards,

Ilya

ANSWER: Ilya,

I am not sure what you mean by "traffic officer".  In my area a traffic officer is a police officer who is primarily assigned to the enforcement of traffic laws.  I have a feeling that is not what you are talking about.

Please let me know what a traffic officer does and what his job is.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Hello Jack,

I believe I meant a parking enforcement officer or a parking attendant;  sometimes they being called parking inspector who usually give out tickets for expired meters and other parking violations. He was not a police officer.
Honorato

Traffic Officer

Postby Sahale » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:25 am

I am from NY. Can a traffic officer stop a moving car and give a ticket? I was stopped by a traffic officer and given a ticket because I stopped at interception and caused the traffic.(The only thing the traffic officer forgot to mention that I was letting the old lady with a stroller to pass at the interception, although it was my green light but I could not overrun her.) My question.

1) Can a traffic officer stop me and do I have to stop?

2) If yes, do I have to provide my drivers license if asked to?

2) Is the fact that he misspelled my last name by missing a letter on a ticket is irrelevant? Thank you very much for you advice. Thank you a lot

Kind Regards,

Ilya

ANSWER: Ilya,

I am not sure what you mean by "traffic officer".  In my area a traffic officer is a police officer who is primarily assigned to the enforcement of traffic laws.  I have a feeling that is not what you are talking about.

Please let me know what a traffic officer does and what his job is.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Hello Jack,

I believe I meant a parking enforcement officer or a parking attendant;  sometimes they being called parking inspector who usually give out tickets for expired meters and other parking violations. He was not a police officer.
Sahale

Traffic Officer

Postby eochaidh94 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:32 pm

I did a little research and if you are NYC I think you mean "traffic agents".  This is what I found but it does not answer your question about their authority to make traffic stops.  http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/pr_2008_ph12.shtml

An error on a ticket makes no difference.  What does matter is what the officer testifies to in court.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help but this is the first time I have heard of a quasi police officer.  But then again I have never been to NYC.
eochaidh94

Return to Traffic Law