Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Traffic citation, traffic ticket?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby kalvin71 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:31 am

What are the difference????? Are they the same thing, because I have a traffic citation, but the cops kept on telling me that I have to pay a ticket
kalvin71

Postby oakley » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:43 am

Same thing. It's called a citation because the law you broke is 'cited' on the ticket. You can look it up by number on a website with your state's vehicle code. It's commonly referred to as a 'ticket' because physically it is a slip of paper.
oakley

Postby koltin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 am

There is technically no such thing, at least in my state, as a traffic "ticket." What people are referring to is a Notice of Infraction (NOI). NOI's are issued when you've committed a traffic violation like speeding. NOI's go on your record. NOI's can simply be paid and be done with. If they are not paid your license is suspended, making it a criminal violation for you to drive. If you are found driving while your license is suspended, you are issued a citation. Citations are for criminal matters, or matters where you could be arrested and taken to jail. Citations are written for misdemeanors and gross misdemeanors only. When issued a citation, you are not given a fine but instead given a court date. If you do not appear for your court date, a warrant is put out for your arrest.
koltin

Postby siwili » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:02 am

This difference does not exist. You still need to pay the ticket before the due date as it is not worth ignoring or fighting.
siwili

Postby colum » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:11 am

They are probably the same thing. Some places have local tickets and state citations.
colum

Return to Traffic Law