Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Trademark/copyrite Infringement

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Postby Jenda » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:39 pm

shannon,i hope i have chosen the right category for my question.i will try not to confuse you.the more i think about how to ask the question;the more i confuse myself!but here goes:just as a hobby...i have for some time now been printing up my own t-shirts.they are shirts simply with words that i apply to them.these include short quips,original humorously philisophical observances/quotes,and generally known statements of fact,etc... .however, the one common/consistent element that remains is;they ALL promote/contain the "perspective" view/of the "motorcyclist" lifestyle. i want to know...if i should ever decide to go ahead and try to market/sell my shirts...would it be illegal to use the name(s)"Harley",H-D",or "Harley Davidson"(which i'm sure are ALL copyrited and trademarked names)ANYWHERE on the shirts? i would not be selling them as a "brand" or claiming in any way shape or form to be associated with the company. let me give you an example:i wanted to express "simplified insight"to the "non-rider's" commonly perceived "rules"(or whys,or what is its,about riding;if you will)so i thought i'd break it down to "it's as simple as 1.,2.,3.. so on the back of the shirt it says..."Harley-Davidson    1.)Ride 2.)Enjoy 3.)REPEAT!". and on another one i have "Harley-Davidson...E=mc2....yeah but H-D=cool".or "Harley-Davidson....therapy in session".you see what i'm getting at? if i started to retail the shirts(legally,as a legitimate business);would i get in trouble with Harley-Davidson? am i infringing?and if so;how do i avoid getting in trouble? i want to thank you for taking the time to take my question,and any kind of "factual"information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.and just so that you will know...i am not in any great big hurry or anything. have a great day,Bob
Jenda

Postby Denham » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Dear Bob,

I can tell you just based on my years of dealing with trademarks that Harley-Davidson is a brand that fights hard to protect their trademark. They have opposed 100+ people attempting to trademark a same or similar name. You can check those out here: http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pnam=H-D%20Michigan,%20Inc AND http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pnam=Harley-Davidson%20Motor%20Company,%20Inc...

The way in which you want to use the name is technically infringing upon their trademark. Unless you obtain permission and/or get a license(if they even offer such a service), I'd recommend thinking twice about investing money into this endeavor. Hope this helps!

Warmest regards,

Shannon Moorehttp://www.tmexpress.comhttp://tmexpress.blogspot.com
Denham

Postby enric » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:28 am

shannon,i hope i have chosen the right category for my question.i will try not to confuse you.the more i think about how to ask the question;the more i confuse myself!but here goes:just as a hobby...i have for some time now been printing up my own t-shirts.they are shirts simply with words that i apply to them.these include short quips,original humorously philisophical observances/quotes,and generally known statements of fact,etc... .however, the one common/consistent element that remains is;they ALL promote/contain the "perspective" view/of the "motorcyclist" lifestyle. i want to know...if i should ever decide to go ahead and try to market/sell my shirts...would it be illegal to use the name(s)"Harley",H-D",or "Harley Davidson"(which i'm sure are ALL copyrited and trademarked names)ANYWHERE on the shirts? i would not be selling them as a "brand" or claiming in any way shape or form to be associated with the company. let me give you an example:i wanted to express "simplified insight"to the "non-rider's" commonly perceived "rules"(or whys,or what is its,about riding;if you will)so i thought i'd break it down to "it's as simple as 1.,2.,3.. so on the back of the shirt it says..."Harley-Davidson    1.)Ride 2.)Enjoy 3.)REPEAT!". and on another one i have "Harley-Davidson...E=mc2....yeah but H-D=cool".or "Harley-Davidson....therapy in session".you see what i'm getting at? if i started to retail the shirts(legally,as a legitimate business);would i get in trouble with Harley-Davidson? am i infringing?and if so;how do i avoid getting in trouble? i want to thank you for taking the time to take my question,and any kind of "factual"information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.and just so that you will know...i am not in any great big hurry or anything. have a great day,Bob
enric

Return to Patents & Trademarks