Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Total Knee Replacement Gone Bad

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Postby Hueil » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:40 pm

In Jan 06 I had a total left knee replacement by doctor who appeared to be impaired who without my acknowledgment or permission decided on another prosthetic device that turned out to be totally inadequate and which had to be removed two years later by another surgeon in the same firm.  At this time, Jan 08 we discovered that he had put in the wrong device but since he has turned in his license and retired, I feel that I have no recourse.  Is this true?  Also, the new surgeon, after performing the revision to my left knee, put me on an aggressive course of physical therapy despite my having told him that something was  wrong in my upper leg.  Since I had no strength to lift my lower leg higher than 12 inches, I presumed that the muscle or quadriceps tendon had ruptured.  After almost five months of pt this was confirmed when my leg was opened for the fourth time and it was discovered that my quadriceps tendon had indeed, torn across and on the side and was hanging in strings.  This was repaired using a cadaver cinch and now after 14 months of therapy I have been told by two orthopaedic surgeons that I will never walk again or even stand for any length of time.  What can I do?
Hueil

Postby young » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:57 am

The one easy question you pose is about the surgeon retiring. Think about it. A professional who commits malpractice doesn't get off the hook by simply retiring. In most cases, the insurance he had during his practice would still cover him for malpractice committed during the period of the insurance coverage. And if worst came to worst, you sue him anyhow and take his personal assets if you won. Also, the medical group that he was in is still in business and that entity would be liable as well. But you have a bigger problem. The Statute of Limitations has probably run out on a case regarding the first surgery anyhow. You can determined that by going to GOOGlE  and search under >>>>>>>>>>name of your state medical malpractice statute of limitations
young

Postby Chuck » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:14 pm

In Jan 06 I had a total left knee replacement by doctor who appeared to be impaired who without my acknowledgment or permission decided on another prosthetic device that turned out to be totally inadequate and which had to be removed two years later by another surgeon in the same firm.  At this time, Jan 08 we discovered that he had put in the wrong device but since he has turned in his license and retired, I feel that I have no recourse.  Is this true?  Also, the new surgeon, after performing the revision to my left knee, put me on an aggressive course of physical therapy despite my having told him that something was  wrong in my upper leg.  Since I had no strength to lift my lower leg higher than 12 inches, I presumed that the muscle or quadriceps tendon had ruptured.  After almost five months of pt this was confirmed when my leg was opened for the fourth time and it was discovered that my quadriceps tendon had indeed, torn across and on the side and was hanging in strings.  This was repaired using a cadaver cinch and now after 14 months of therapy I have been told by two orthopaedic surgeons that I will never walk again or even stand for any length of time.  What can I do?
Chuck

Return to Legal Malpractice