Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Tm Symbol Usage In Documents

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Postby Cenehard » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:17 am

I have a trade mark on a software tool. I use the TM symbol with the name of the tool in text form and in "artwork." When writing things like case studies where the name of the tool is used frequently and in different forms(i.e. possessive), should I be using the TM with every mention? As you can imagine, this get's awkward to the point of distraction. If using the symbol every time is not a hard and fast rule, how would you recommend I use the designation in longer documents with repeated occurrences of the term.
Cenehard

Postby Allister » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:39 am

I have a trade mark on a software tool. I use the TM symbol with the name of the tool in text form and in "artwork." When writing things like case studies where the name of the tool is used frequently and in different forms(i.e. possessive), should I be using the TM with every mention? As you can imagine, this get's awkward to the point of distraction. If using the symbol every time is not a hard and fast rule, how would you recommend I use the designation in longer documents with repeated occurrences of the term.
Allister

Postby Bhaic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:19 am

Dear Mary,

You're right in that you needn't use the TM or ® symbol every time you show the mark. I'd recommend showing it at least once on a page(e.g. in the header or footer of your document) and/or wherever the mark is displayed prominently. Merely showing it does show that you are doing your due diligence in letting others know that you claim trademark rights to the mark. Hope that helps! Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Thank you!

-- Shannon Moorehttp://www.tmexpress.com
Bhaic

Return to Patents & Trademarks