Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Tkr/mcl Repair

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Tkr/mcl Repair

Postby Cawley » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:33 pm

On Aug 28 2007, I had an accident with my right leg, that crushed my tibia plateau, and broke my tibia.  I had a plate and 6 screws placed on Sept 11, 2007. On July 1, 2009 I had a scope done on my same knee as the pain never let up.  I had a meniscus repair, arthritis removed. On Jan 7, 2010 I had the hardware removed from the same knee and leg as the pain never was relieved.  On April 15, 2010 I had a total tkr and mcl repair.  When they went in to do the tkr, they said they had to repair the mcl, which took the operation almost 3 hrs.  I had to have 2 pints of blood 3 days later.  It is now Oct 18, 2010 and I am in extreme pain, where the mcl is located, I have muscle spasms.  I take pain meds, and use a cane in order to walk.  I have seen my surgeon in Sept and he wanted me to wait until November before we decide if the mcl needs more reconstruction.  My appt is for Nov, 9 2010.  I am not wanting a 5th operation on this leg. It has been 3 years + and the pain is so much worse, then the healing after the first operation in Sept of 2007.  What do you think?  When I had my tkr, that was the first time that they even mentioned the mcl and why would they have not seen that it needed repaired during any one of the other operations?  Thank you for any help.

ANSWER: Have you been seeing the same doctors every time?

You need to see a good malpractice lawyer.

You do not give some information that would help, and so I can only guess about some things that could have happened.If you libe in a large town or an very urban area, start by asking your Bar Association for help ,locating a lawyer. If you live in a small town, thern you had better look for lawyers in another county because lawyers and orthopedists have an association that will prevent your finding a lawyer in your home town.

Make a brief outline of what has happened, giving dates and names. Do not use abbreviations, lawyers and people like me rarely know what they mean. Type this outline.  You will want one for every lawyer you talk to. If you have any hospital records or of the surgeries make copies for lawyers too. If you have bills, empty bottles of medicines, prescriptions, add these to your brief case. Try to get as much information as hyou can into you bundle, but make it as brief and concise as you can.

O think tou may have a strong case but time may work against you because it all began  so long ago. If these are the same doctors throughout, that will make a big difference. If it is a group of doctors, that may help you find a lawyer. But get started. And good luck. Your lawyer will send you to another set of doctors.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thank you for your help.  I do have a copy of the or results of every operation.  I have 2 different docs ortho surgeons.  Also during my total knee replacement and mcl repair, it is stated in the or reports that the "hemovac drains were inadvertently pulled out when the drapes were removed. so they stitched that area up and I had no drainage from the knee.  I am currently trying for disability and of course they are denied me twice but I do have a lawyer for that.  I really don't believe in sueing but i have no quality of life. and the fact that they never even told me about the mcl before the surgery or the hemovac drains after the surgery, leaves me questioning.
Cawley

Tkr/mcl Repair

Postby obrian » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:35 pm

On Aug 28 2007, I had an accident with my right leg, that crushed my tibia plateau, and broke my tibia.  I had a plate and 6 screws placed on Sept 11, 2007. On July 1, 2009 I had a scope done on my same knee as the pain never let up.  I had a meniscus repair, arthritis removed. On Jan 7, 2010 I had the hardware removed from the same knee and leg as the pain never was relieved.  On April 15, 2010 I had a total tkr and mcl repair.  When they went in to do the tkr, they said they had to repair the mcl, which took the operation almost 3 hrs.  I had to have 2 pints of blood 3 days later.  It is now Oct 18, 2010 and I am in extreme pain, where the mcl is located, I have muscle spasms.  I take pain meds, and use a cane in order to walk.  I have seen my surgeon in Sept and he wanted me to wait until November before we decide if the mcl needs more reconstruction.  My appt is for Nov, 9 2010.  I am not wanting a 5th operation on this leg. It has been 3 years + and the pain is so much worse, then the healing after the first operation in Sept of 2007.  What do you think?  When I had my tkr, that was the first time that they even mentioned the mcl and why would they have not seen that it needed repaired during any one of the other operations?  Thank you for any help.

ANSWER: Have you been seeing the same doctors every time?

You need to see a good malpractice lawyer.

You do not give some information that would help, and so I can only guess about some things that could have happened.If you libe in a large town or an very urban area, start by asking your Bar Association for help ,locating a lawyer. If you live in a small town, thern you had better look for lawyers in another county because lawyers and orthopedists have an association that will prevent your finding a lawyer in your home town.

Make a brief outline of what has happened, giving dates and names. Do not use abbreviations, lawyers and people like me rarely know what they mean. Type this outline.  You will want one for every lawyer you talk to. If you have any hospital records or of the surgeries make copies for lawyers too. If you have bills, empty bottles of medicines, prescriptions, add these to your brief case. Try to get as much information as hyou can into you bundle, but make it as brief and concise as you can.

O think tou may have a strong case but time may work against you because it all began  so long ago. If these are the same doctors throughout, that will make a big difference. If it is a group of doctors, that may help you find a lawyer. But get started. And good luck. Your lawyer will send you to another set of doctors.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thank you for your help.  I do have a copy of the or results of every operation.  I have 2 different docs ortho surgeons.  Also during my total knee replacement and mcl repair, it is stated in the or reports that the "hemovac drains were inadvertently pulled out when the drapes were removed. so they stitched that area up and I had no drainage from the knee.  I am currently trying for disability and of course they are denied me twice but I do have a lawyer for that.  I really don't believe in sueing but i have no quality of life. and the fact that they never even told me about the mcl before the surgery or the hemovac drains after the surgery, leaves me questioning.
obrian

Tkr/mcl Repair

Postby Wadsworth » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 am

A medical malpractice lawsuit is no frolic in the park. So, if you are not angry enough at those doctors to take themn to court, do not start a lawsuit. I do believe that you have a right to sue them and that they did harm you. But the decision is yours and no one else's. Good luck.
Wadsworth

Return to Medical Malpractice