Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Threatening One's Life Over The Phone..

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Postby Cheveyo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Dear Jack,

My husband has recently been threatened by his ex-girlfriend and their daughter.  The daughter's threat is that she is going to "slit his throat" and the mothers/ex is that she is going to kill him and there are plenty of places to hide a body".  We just recently sent a certified letter requesting that they do not call or come on the property.  They have since called and texted my husband stating they will be there whenever they want and there is nothing we can do about it. The daughter has stalked the house for about a week before she made the threats.  She just recently(on June 4th) threatened to come in the house no matter what he said.  What can we do to prevent this?  I am really nervous as the mother has a criminal past and the daughter has threatened to kill me and her own mother in the past.  Any advice would be greatly apprecieated!!  Thank you again!!

ANSWER: Grace,

If it makes you feel any better no one calls/emails/text's a message that they are going to kill someone and then actually does it.  It is a threat to make you feel uneasy and the sender gets their enjoyment because they know that you are afraid.   In all my years I never handled or heard of a case where anyone told someone beforehand that they were going to kill the receipient of a message and then actually did it.  It doesn't make sense that someone would confess to a murder before it happened.

However your state must have a law that prohibits the delivery of threats by phone/computer/cell phone, etc.  I would think that it would be a simple matter of contacting the police in your juristiction and follow their guidance on how to have these people arrested.  Any police officer will tell you that he/she handles many cases like this every week.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Unfortunately, She has a criminal record that is as long as my arm.  She has at least 3 current criminal cases pending and about 7-8 truancy cases for my husband's daughter and her younger brother.  She is very unstable and has had a judge issue a mental evaluation, that she refuses to take.  We really have to watch our backs, but one more question, if the threats are repeated, how many threats do we have to have against us to consider it harrassment or misuse?  I do appreciate your prompt answer.  And thank you for all of your advice.
Cheveyo

Postby lyulf » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Again let me stress that there are fifty states.  Each state has its own laws.  In MY state the law is different than in YOUR state.  You should not be quibbling over how many threats you have to receive.  Obviously they are making you and your family uncomfortable so I don't understand why you have not started the process for having these people charged.
lyulf

Postby Elias » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:33 am

Dear Jack,

My husband has recently been threatened by his ex-girlfriend and their daughter.  The daughter's threat is that she is going to "slit his throat" and the mothers/ex is that she is going to kill him and there are plenty of places to hide a body".  We just recently sent a certified letter requesting that they do not call or come on the property.  They have since called and texted my husband stating they will be there whenever they want and there is nothing we can do about it. The daughter has stalked the house for about a week before she made the threats.  She just recently(on June 4th) threatened to come in the house no matter what he said.  What can we do to prevent this?  I am really nervous as the mother has a criminal past and the daughter has threatened to kill me and her own mother in the past.  Any advice would be greatly apprecieated!!  Thank you again!!

ANSWER: Grace,

If it makes you feel any better no one calls/emails/text's a message that they are going to kill someone and then actually does it.  It is a threat to make you feel uneasy and the sender gets their enjoyment because they know that you are afraid.   In all my years I never handled or heard of a case where anyone told someone beforehand that they were going to kill the receipient of a message and then actually did it.  It doesn't make sense that someone would confess to a murder before it happened.

However your state must have a law that prohibits the delivery of threats by phone/computer/cell phone, etc.  I would think that it would be a simple matter of contacting the police in your juristiction and follow their guidance on how to have these people arrested.  Any police officer will tell you that he/she handles many cases like this every week.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Unfortunately, She has a criminal record that is as long as my arm.  She has at least 3 current criminal cases pending and about 7-8 truancy cases for my husband's daughter and her younger brother.  She is very unstable and has had a judge issue a mental evaluation, that she refuses to take.  We really have to watch our backs, but one more question, if the threats are repeated, how many threats do we have to have against us to consider it harrassment or misuse?  I do appreciate your prompt answer.  And thank you for all of your advice.
Elias

Return to Criminal Law