Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

The Sixth Commandment

Discussions relating to Personal Injury Law

The Sixth Commandment

Postby Bow » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:14 am

Hello Anthony, My name is Matthew A, I'm a 18yr male and also a fellow member of the SDA Church, and have a simple question regarding the 6th Commandment in which states, Thou shall not commit murder. This bothers me quite a bit. I'm going to become a Law Enforcement Officer, and wish to serve my country with everything I can give in order to stop crime, and I hope in my entire life I never kill anyone, but there is something in which I still do not understand. the Bible says in Psalm 106:3 which states "blessed are they who maintain justice, and constantly do what is right." In the field as a police officer a firearm is always carried and must be used in a life and death situation(s). If a Criminal points a firearm at a civilian or a fellow officer, and I happen to fire at the Criminal and end his/her life in trying to do what is right, is it still a sin in God's eyes? I know in the eyes of the man it is okay to do so, but my concern is not on the eyes of man, but in the eyes of God. Thank you very much for your time, and God bless you Anthony.
Bow

The Sixth Commandment

Postby Toran » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:16 am

Hi Matthew and thanks for writing.  That verse in Psalm 106 that you mention pronounces a blessing on those that seek to do right in the Lord’s eyes.  I think the verse is primarily speaking about making right choices and decisions in one’s own personal life and in their interactions with others.  “Blessed are they who maintain justice…” is also translated “Blessed are they that keep judgment…”  The Hebrew word used is “mishpat” which means “a verdict.”  I suppose one can interpret this verse in such a way as to apply it to the duty of a police officer.  I just want to mention a thing or two if I may.  Before I became an Adventist I was drafted into the Army and spent one entire night paired up with an SDA medic.  This incidentally was my first introduction to Adventism and the Lord used that medic as a blessing to me.  Anyway, I noticed that he did not have a weapon.  I was amazed but to make a long story short he told me that he was a conscientious objector.  Unlike others during this time that claimed C.O. status to avoid the Vietnam war, this person was a sincere Christian that accepted his duty but would not carry a weapon.  He was allowed to serve as a medic.  The point is that some people feel it is wrong to carry a weapon that will cause injury or death to another while others have different feelings.  You have to talk this over with the Lord.  No one is going to be able to tell you that it is right or it is wrong to carry a firearm.  This must be between you and the Lord.  You say that “you want to serve your country with everything you can in order to stop crime” which is commendable but I hope you realize that Scripture mentions that just as “you have the poor with you always” you will also always have crime no matter what.  We are in a fallen world and people will only get more and more sinful as we approach the end of time.  I live in New York City and at least every other week there is a report of a police officer shooting an innocent person.  Sometimes it is the result of poor judgment, sometimes the result of being nervous, sometimes just panic.  There was the case of the black man(Armado Diallo) who was reaching for his wallet and the police thought he was going for a gun and shot him 27 times.  More recently there was the man celebrating his engagement with the party getting a little loud.  The police arrived, someone shouted “he has a gun” and a few minutes later the potential groom was shot dead.  He didn’t have a gun.  I’m not saying that this will happen with you but my opinion is that you will eventually not be happy as a police officer.  Forgive me for saying this but this is my opinion.  I have another friend who is a police officer that I know from our church.  He is 24 and a nice guy.  He knows the Adventist message is correct and attends Sabbath services every 6 weeks because he works Saturdays and only gets weekends off just about every other month.  He has not actually been baptized yet but says he plans on doing so.  I know that you can justify working on the Sabbath saying that you are protecting life and property but he tells me that some Saturdays he just works in the precinct house.  Matthew, you are just going to have to discuss this with the Lord and pray that He will guide you into the right decision.  I’m sure that you are familiar with certain events that the Bible says will take place in the last days.  Events such as laws enforcing first day of the week worship.  How will you respond if called upon to enforce such laws?  I know that you are young and the thought of being a police officer, along with the public service that it instills there are also certain other feelings.  I know a little about these feelings of pride and power because I actually took the police officer test and was on the list many years ago but also was on other city and state civil service lists.  While waiting to be reached another state job came along which I took and it turned out great for me.  I had weekends off, all the benefits, easy work and an excellent salary.  So anyway Matthew, if you feel that a career in law enforcement is for you then continue along but just stay close to the Lord and talk to Him often.  If the Lord has something better for you He will direct your path by opening some doors and closing other doors.  Please remember that the Lord has your best interest in mind because He loves you very much and will lead you in the way that you would want if you were able to see the end from the beginning.  Thanks for sharing your comments and I know that whatever course you take that you will be a credit to your profession, anthony  
Toran

The Sixth Commandment

Postby creedon15 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:25 am

Hello Anthony, My name is Matthew A, I'm a 18yr male and also a fellow member of the SDA Church, and have a simple question regarding the 6th Commandment in which states, Thou shall not commit murder. This bothers me quite a bit. I'm going to become a Law Enforcement Officer, and wish to serve my country with everything I can give in order to stop crime, and I hope in my entire life I never kill anyone, but there is something in which I still do not understand. the Bible says in Psalm 106:3 which states "blessed are they who maintain justice, and constantly do what is right." In the field as a police officer a firearm is always carried and must be used in a life and death situation(s). If a Criminal points a firearm at a civilian or a fellow officer, and I happen to fire at the Criminal and end his/her life in trying to do what is right, is it still a sin in God's eyes? I know in the eyes of the man it is okay to do so, but my concern is not on the eyes of man, but in the eyes of God. Thank you very much for your time, and God bless you Anthony.
creedon15

Return to Personal Injury Law