Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

The Post Office lost all 150 of my wedding invitations. They were not insured. What are my rights?

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

The Post Office lost all 150 of my wedding invitations. They were not insured. What are my rights?

Postby otis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:16 am

I have spoked to many people at the regional level and no one has been able to find the invitations nor give me any guidance as to how to file a complaint. The post master who finally called me after a week tells me that they will reimburse for postage but that he can not reimburse for the cost of the invitations. He does admit that their system (whatever that may be) is at fault and that I did nothing wrong but will have to suffer and spend over $1600 on invitations again...with no recourse on their end. It does not seem right or fair...does anyone have any experience with the post office or know about consumer rights?
otis

Postby nicolas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 am

You can complain all you want to but it will not do any good.
nicolas

Postby gustav » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 am

as an american citizen, you have the right to purchase new invitations and send them through the best delivery service known to man, the USPS. you are quite lucky for having this opportunity but you seem quite ungrateful for it. this concerns me. since you are a free citizen who lives in a free society who has the right to have a post office you shouldnt be so scornful. I mean just think logically for a second. If you didn't live in a free society there would be no Post Office. Then you could have never even TRIED to send your invitations. Doesn't sound like too much fun now does it?
gustav

Postby aenedleah10 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 am

The USPS has a formal complaint system and EVERY postal employee knows what it is.
The postmaster lied to you.
https://www.usps.com/customer-service/customer-service.htm
aenedleah10

Postby iden » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:27 am

IF you get the postage reimbursed, you should thank your lucky stars. I've had a dozen or so similar events over the course of my lifetime, and I haven't even ever gotten anyone to listen to my complaint, let alone respond to it. The fact that someone returned your call is a freaking miracle. Don't expect anything else.

The USPS's liability is limited to the postage, unfortunately. Hope it's not too late to scrounge up some evites or something. Congrats on you marriage, anyway. :)
iden

Postby ardwyad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 am

You spent $1600 on invitations?!? That's beyond extravagant. I'm all for capitalism and getting to spend your hard-earned money however you want but come on, that's just obscene. That's more than most people on Earth make in a month. If you have that kind of money to blow then you have that kind of money to blow. Get some perspective. That's like complaining that the life boats don't have hot coffee while the Titanic is sinking behind you. Conspicuous consumption has reached a despicable new low.
ardwyad

Postby felabeorbt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:41 am

They didn't have to refund your postage. There's really nothing you can do short term except replace your invitations yourself.

The Post Office, being an agency of the Federal government, cannot be sued at the state level.(No small claims court)

You can serve the USPS a Federal Claim for Damages (you have two years to do so). If the claim is denied, you would then need to file suit in Federal court. But lawyers would cost way more than you could claim for damages. Here is the claim form for damages:
http://www.nwcg.gov/teams/ibpwt/forms/sf-95.pdf
felabeorbt

Return to Consumer Law