Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Tempered Glass In Florida

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby dunixi » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:46 am

I am working on a cooler door in a Florida convenience store.  It has a cracked insulated unit in the cooler front.  Currently, it is not safety glazing.  The unit is 8.2 square feet.  It has traffic only on the store side of the cooler.  It is not a walk thru door.  Is the replacement insulated panel required to be tempered glass?  If so, is it required to be on one or both sides of the unit?  Do any of the other panels in the cooler front have to be changed to tempered if I make the repair on the broken one?  Thanks, Tracy
dunixi

Postby Barnum » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:57 pm

I am working on a cooler door in a Florida convenience store.  It has a cracked insulated unit in the cooler front.  Currently, it is not safety glazing.  The unit is 8.2 square feet.  It has traffic only on the store side of the cooler.  It is not a walk thru door.  Is the replacement insulated panel required to be tempered glass?  If so, is it required to be on one or both sides of the unit?  Do any of the other panels in the cooler front have to be changed to tempered if I make the repair on the broken one?  Thanks, Tracy
Barnum

Postby chansomps » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:13 am

Hi Tracy -

I can't really give you a good answer on this because it depends on which code is currently being enforced in the jurisdiction that the store is in.  If the 2009 edition of the IBC has been adopted there, my unofficial answer is that the glass that you're replacing would have to meet the requirements for impact-resistance.  I don't think the other panels would need to be changed just because you're changing the broken one.  You may want to check with the local building inspector.

- Lori
chansomps

Return to Traffic Law