Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   


Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Teenage Son Moved Into Girlfriends House

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Teenage Son Moved Into Girlfriends House

Postby Farnlea » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Our son who is 15 about to turn 16 next month, dropped a bombshell on us a month ago and left home during the night to go and live with his girlfriend who is the same age. He is adored and cared for at home and has been raised with good morals, hence the shock. His girlfriends parents came to fetch him and support the two of them fully to our dismay. We tried everything to get him to come home including sending the police to their house but in Australia when you are 16 you can leave home legally and engage in a sexual relationship. Our son has dropped out of school and is demanding that we pay school fees so that he can attend the same school as his girlfriend. We then heard that the family are moving away at the end of the month so we would have paid hundreds in fees for him to swap schools again? He is a bright and talented boy and we cannot believe that he has allowed himself to be manipulated this way.  He has lost many of his friends too because of this.

At the moment we are at our wits end and I have stopped texting loving messages to my son. He is now slandering us on facebook with hurtful lies about his upbringing and discipline he received at home. All texts are monitored by her family who retaliate in the worst possible way.

We still love our son and want the best for him. He has no ID at the moment as he thankfully did not take his passport or birth certificate when he ran away. This is our saving grace we feel as the other family want to claim financial support from the government to keep him with them.

Please advise us regarding our son. We are losing hope.

ANSWER: Hello Gail, I'm sorry to hear about the decision your son has made. Obviously, it is an immature decision and not one that has been clearly thought out. Since Australia laws allow him to live away from home, it doesn't mean you have to support him or condone what he is doing. I would suggest that you place his birth certificate and passport in a safe or safe deposit box so he has no access to these documents. I would also suggest that you provide no financial support. I believe he is likely in the future to rethink his decision and to want to return home. In the meantime, I don't know there is anything you can do but to wait patiently for him to recognize the folly of what he is doing. Best wishes, James Windell ---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thank you James for your reply. We feel good knowing that we are doing the right thing by not giving financial support as one always feels that sense of responsibility towards your child. One other thing us: Do we ignore the slander and lies aimed at our family or do we take legal action against these people? We can't believe our son would say such things of his own accord and are convinced that he is being coerced into these lies. It is difficult to predict future events but we want to be prepared for as much as possible. Please advise. Thank you
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Teenage Son Moved Into Girlfriends House

Postby Cruz » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Hello Gail, I think you should think long and hard about filing any kind of libel or slander suit. While you may feel you need to protect yourself and your good name, getting into a legal battle, may force your son to take sides. He is likely to align himself with his girlfriend and her parents. In his present state of mind, this may just confirm for him that he is right to have negative views of his parents. And once he is involved in a legal battle, it would be difficult for him to back down from his present alignments. Obviously, and ultimately, the decision is yours. But there are always risks. Best, James  
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Return to Defamation Law


  • Related topics
    Last post