Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Tax And Tax Deductions

Family Law Discussion Forum

Tax And Tax Deductions

Postby Archere » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:59 am

Hi,

I have several questions regarding tax, tax deductions and family in Norway.

1) First of all, I have been in Norway for more than 2 years. According to the law, as a foreigner I had the right to claim a 10% standard deduction during the first two years. I claimed that right for 2008 and 2009. Nevertheless, by the end of 2009 I received a tax card I did not check(7300) that apparently calculated the 10% deduction for 2010, year I was not entitled to receive that. Then, during 2010 I paid my taxes as normal and recently in the tax return I saw I underpaid them, and I had to pay an extra amount to complete what I was supposed to pay during the year. Is there a way to control or learn more about tax cards, since a mistake I made in 2009 was unpleasantly discovered now, more thane one year after?

2) Secondly, my wife is coming to Norway, she is joining the university in order to pursue her PhD studies. She will be receiving an "stipendiat" which according to the law, falls around 380.000 NOK per year. How much taxes would she be entitled to pay then?

3) During my last year I have bought an apartment, for that I borrowed the money from the bank.(a) Since my wife is coming is it possible or advisable to split the debt between the two of us? Bearing in mind that her income would be lower than mine.(b) And also regarding the Tax Return, do we present one for the two of us, or each declares his taxes separately.

4) Finally, regarding family. In case my wife would not have an income(not my case), is there a reduction on my taxes for having a person under my responsibility. Is that reduction extended to kids as well?

I really appreciate your help and apologize in advance for the bunch of questions. Taxes are a big matter in Norway and still after 2 years I have not been able to figure them out completely. At the same time the kundeservice here has not been as helpful informing and that is why I have to use this mean.

Thanks in advance,

Alejandro
Archere

Tax And Tax Deductions

Postby Dekel » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:59 am

1) There is a lot of information in norwegian around. But the best place to start for english information is probably http://www.skatteetaten.no/en/International-pages/

2) Depending on deductions etc. she'll probably pay around 28% taxes all in all, but that depends on your income, mortgage and all other deductions as well.

3) The debt should be automatically split between you by the tax agency in the best way for you. But you can change this in the tax return if you find it less than optimal what they suggest. Every legal person in norway, child or adult send in their own tax return.(Or if they do not send it in, the automatically generated one will be used.) Generally you send in a tax return if the tax agency missed something, or made an error.

4) Yes, you get a tax deduction for being a provider for a no-income spouse and children. I myself have not paid more than 18% taxes over the last two years because my wife has not earned any money and I have two small children.
Dekel

Return to Family Law