Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Surgical Clips In Abdoman

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby Barhloew » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:25 pm

In 2004 a Urologist diagnosed me with a cancerous tumor in my right Ureter I had abdominal surgery to remove the tumor.The doctor was able to splice the ureter back together.It was conventional surgery leaving a long vertical scar on my belly.It was successful and I recovered. In 2007 the tumor returned to the same place.My right Ureter.I was told the Ureter would be removed and the right kidney would have to go as well.This surgery was done laperscopically,by a nephrologist.Leaving a few small holes in my right side. Again successfully.I have been returning to the second Dr.every six months for a cystiscopic exam.(Stay with me,I'll get there.) In Dec.2009 I began to get sharp pains in my right lower abdomen.Thinking it was my appendix,I went to my Primary Dr..From my symptoms he agreed and sent me to an E.R. at a local hospital.After a barrage of tests and a CT scan I was let go.Appendicitis was negative.BUT,the CT scan revealed 2 surgical clips left in or near the psoas muscle.I was given antibiotics.Don't know if they actually worked.The pain subsided after a time.Last week,March 24,2010.I went to the nephrologist for my 6 month cystoscopic bladder exam..This time he found some new cancer cells.After taking two biopsys he inserted a wire and cauterized the cancer.Cauterizing is like welding.First they taped an electrode wire to my right hip.The other wire that did the burning was inside my Bladder.When the doctor turned on the juice I felt the shock go through my right hip.Again the proceedure was successful.My hip was painful for two days after,but subsided.However,that pain from Dec 09 has returned and is increasing.Those two metal clips are right smack in the pathway of the current that went from my bladder to my hip.I think the current aggrivated whatever caused the pain in dec.2009.It may have damaged the muscle tissue around the clips.

Just an educated guess on my part.

The is:

...Should those clips be there in the first place?

...Are the clips causing the pain?

...Could those clips be causing internal damage?

...Could the current from the cauterization affect the metal clips? I'm having difficulty getting answers.Doctors don't want to point fingers.I'm sure your familiar with that scenario.
Barhloew

Postby Mokovaoto » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:19 pm

In 2004 a Urologist diagnosed me with a cancerous tumor in my right Ureter I had abdominal surgery to remove the tumor.The doctor was able to splice the ureter back together.It was conventional surgery leaving a long vertical scar on my belly.It was successful and I recovered. In 2007 the tumor returned to the same place.My right Ureter.I was told the Ureter would be removed and the right kidney would have to go as well.This surgery was done laperscopically,by a nephrologist.Leaving a few small holes in my right side. Again successfully.I have been returning to the second Dr.every six months for a cystiscopic exam.(Stay with me,I'll get there.) In Dec.2009 I began to get sharp pains in my right lower abdomen.Thinking it was my appendix,I went to my Primary Dr..From my symptoms he agreed and sent me to an E.R. at a local hospital.After a barrage of tests and a CT scan I was let go.Appendicitis was negative.BUT,the CT scan revealed 2 surgical clips left in or near the psoas muscle.I was given antibiotics.Don't know if they actually worked.The pain subsided after a time.Last week,March 24,2010.I went to the nephrologist for my 6 month cystoscopic bladder exam..This time he found some new cancer cells.After taking two biopsys he inserted a wire and cauterized the cancer.Cauterizing is like welding.First they taped an electrode wire to my right hip.The other wire that did the burning was inside my Bladder.When the doctor turned on the juice I felt the shock go through my right hip.Again the proceedure was successful.My hip was painful for two days after,but subsided.However,that pain from Dec 09 has returned and is increasing.Those two metal clips are right smack in the pathway of the current that went from my bladder to my hip.I think the current aggrivated whatever caused the pain in dec.2009.It may have damaged the muscle tissue around the clips.

Just an educated guess on my part.

The is:

...Should those clips be there in the first place?

...Are the clips causing the pain?

...Could those clips be causing internal damage?

...Could the current from the cauterization affect the metal clips? I'm having difficulty getting answers.Doctors don't want to point fingers.I'm sure your familiar with that scenario.
Mokovaoto

Postby Wagner » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:51 am

You have a tough case for any malpractice lawyer. First, you are talking about what appears to be a cancer that is difficult to treat and has apparently not responded to past treatment efforts. You do not give much personal onformation that might help. Things like your age, your earning capacity, your dependents and other matters that a lawyer must know before he takes your case.

Now, clips may be left in a surgical site because they are necessary to prevent bleeding or some other post surgical problem.  You have a RIGHT to review yopur hopsital records. Go to the hospital record room and ask to see the operative report for that surgery and see what the doctor says about clips. He may give reason for them, and if he does, you probably have no case. If, on the other hand, no mention is made of clips, then you might assume they were left behind. That might give a lawyer a chance to get you some compensation. He will probably not think about taking your case to a jury because juries do not like to give money to someone who has cancer.
Wagner

Return to Medical Malpractice