Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Step-parenting In Indiana

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby Rover » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello, I recently found out that my ex has plan to remarry.  We have a four-year old son.  His new person already has two children by two different people and this will be her third marriage.  I can't seem to find any information on what, if any, legal rights a step-parent has in the state of Indiana.  We share custody.  Is this person considered a "legal-stranger" or does she have rights? I have a post-decree mediation appointment coming up and need to be prepared.  Any help you can give and/or reference materials would be great.  Thank you.
Rover

Postby Feldun » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:46 pm

Helene:

DISCLAIMER:

I AM NOT A LAWYER or ATTORNEY. I am someone who has experience with family law issues, and am sharing my OPINION only. For the exact law as it pertains to your specific case contact a Professional Attorney in your area/county.

Once your ex marries the new wife will become the step mother. The courts will encourage her to interact with said child and become a friend and to blend the children together to become a family unit if possible.  If done correctly this will create an everlasting bond between all of them.  

Legally when she is caring for them including your her new step son she is legally responsible for them with reference to care and welfare of children while in her custody.

YOU are encouraged to support this type of family bonding so that your child becomes part of the new family. Work with your ex during the mediation hearing on this issue, OK.  It is in the best interest of said child.

Kind Regards,

Jeff
Feldun

Postby arvad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:32 am

Hello, I recently found out that my ex has plan to remarry.  We have a four-year old son.  His new person already has two children by two different people and this will be her third marriage.  I can't seem to find any information on what, if any, legal rights a step-parent has in the state of Indiana.  We share custody.  Is this person considered a "legal-stranger" or does she have rights? I have a post-decree mediation appointment coming up and need to be prepared.  Any help you can give and/or reference materials would be great.  Thank you.
arvad

Return to Family Law