Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Statute Of Limitations-state Of Ohio

Discuss the legalities of Bankruptcy Law

Postby Ricciardo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:11 am

I live in Ohio. I have a credit card debt that I incurred in the early 90's. I was unable to pay, so the debt was charged off. It has since been removed from my credit report per the 7 year statute of limitations.

I recently received a Summons from an Attorney representing the Debt Collection Agency. I served them a Validation letter as well as the Court. I have since been given a notice of a Pre-Trial and no response to the Validation letter that I sent the Attorney.

The issue I am having is that I cannot afford a lawyer. I am forced to do this on my own.

I believe that this debt is past the SOL and am researching to back this up. In my research I am getting conflicting answers as to what the actual Statute of Limitations on credit card debt is in the State of Ohio. Some sites say 4 yrs., some 6yrs. and others give no info. Most of the debt collection agencies list either 4 or 6 yrs. on their websites, but I have nothing confirmed and no Statutes to back this up....please help!!  
Ricciardo

Postby KyndMryn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:46 pm

I live in Ohio. I have a credit card debt that I incurred in the early 90's. I was unable to pay, so the debt was charged off. It has since been removed from my credit report per the 7 year statute of limitations.

I recently received a Summons from an Attorney representing the Debt Collection Agency. I served them a Validation letter as well as the Court. I have since been given a notice of a Pre-Trial and no response to the Validation letter that I sent the Attorney.

The issue I am having is that I cannot afford a lawyer. I am forced to do this on my own.

I believe that this debt is past the SOL and am researching to back this up. In my research I am getting conflicting answers as to what the actual Statute of Limitations on credit card debt is in the State of Ohio. Some sites say 4 yrs., some 6yrs. and others give no info. Most of the debt collection agencies list either 4 or 6 yrs. on their websites, but I have nothing confirmed and no Statutes to back this up....please help!!  
KyndMryn

Postby Kaysan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:38 pm

Chase:

There is a good reason why the statutes dealing with SOL are ambigus, or at least appear to be so.  As far as the attorney issue, that can be dealt with and there just may be a silver lining in your not being able to immediately get a straight answer in your attempts to defend yourself.  Depending on facts that you do not state in your question, there is a good chance taht you might be able to put this behind you at minimal expense without having to go through all of this process in the state courts delaing with SOL issues, whatever they may be.  Cal me on my cell if you like and I can explain a heck of a lot better on the telephone.  I will not charge you just to talk ont he -phone.  My cell is 661 492-2673    Call me if you like.
Kaysan

Return to Bankruptcy Law