Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Star Trek: Starfleet Jag Corps.

The law of the sea.

Postby Goldwyn » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:53 am

I was looking for some sort of reference guide or comparison chart showing the rank/organisational structure of the Starfleet JAG corps.  Obviously at the top there is the Judge Advocate General and the Assistant Judge Advocate General, but how the rest of the JAG corps is organised I'm a little unclear.

We do see a little of the JAG corp during TNG and I got the impression that the JAG corp had satelite offices at most/all Starbases to deal with matters of discipline and military law, but I'm unsure how it works from an organisational point-of-view.

Any information you have or any reference materials you could point me towards would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Goldwyn

Postby Gavino » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Pete,

It's difficult to respond to this if you're wanting an "official" view of the Judge Advocate General Corps of Starfleet, from what we have seen on TV, because so little has, in fact, been seen.

However, as Star Trek and its later series were directly and sometimes indirectly based on the United States Navy, that gives us a good starting point. The U.S. Navy JAG Corps(in real life and on the TV series JAG) does have a 2-star(rear admiral, upper half) Judge Advocate General. He is the head of the JAG Corps and the senior legal adviser to the Chief of Naval Operations, the titular head of the Navy.(Keep in mind most Star Trek fans believe that the Starfleet JAG is a 3-star.)

Under the JAG, there is a Deputy Judge Advocate General(also a 2-star), who basically fills in with any administrative needs as directed by the JAG or in his absence. However, the DJAG also has another title: Commander, Naval Legal Services Command(COMNAVLEGSVCSCOM) - you know how much the military loves acronyms. The DJAG is actually the person responsible for the day-to-day operations of military law proceedings, such as Article 32 hearings and court-martials.

Further down, you might have a 1-star admiral or a captain(or the equivalents in the Marine Corps, because Marine attorneys are in the U.S. Navy's JAG Corps) as an Assistant JAG for the various legal departments, such as criminal law, civil law, environmental law, maritime law, tort law, administrative law, and so on.

And from there, you would have commanders or captains(or lieutenant colonels or colonels) as senior staff attorneys at JAG Headquarters or as commanding officers at field offices(such as at Starbases). Usually, there is a JAG field office at the major USN and USMC bases around the world(and at major starbases throughout the Federation). If you'll recall, Captain Phillipa Louvois, an old flame of Captain Picard's, was the JAG officer assigned to whatever starbase that was. Normally, she would have less senior JAG officers that report to her there, but as explained in the episode, the base was newly opened, and none had been assigned yet.

It's important to note that the criminal side of military law(like court-martials) is not all that the JAG Corps does. They also handle giving legal advice to members of the military, such as will/estate planning and things like that. Also, any lawsuits involving the Navy/Marine Corps may be handled by a JAG attorney. You might want to check out the U.S. Navy's JAG Corps website: http://www.jag.navy.mil

It has some of this information on it. I know that was a lot of facts to digest for that question, but if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David
Gavino

Postby Telutci » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 pm

I was looking for some sort of reference guide or comparison chart showing the rank/organisational structure of the Starfleet JAG corps.  Obviously at the top there is the Judge Advocate General and the Assistant Judge Advocate General, but how the rest of the JAG corps is organised I'm a little unclear.

We do see a little of the JAG corp during TNG and I got the impression that the JAG corp had satelite offices at most/all Starbases to deal with matters of discipline and military law, but I'm unsure how it works from an organisational point-of-view.

Any information you have or any reference materials you could point me towards would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Telutci

Return to Maritime Law