Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Splenic Hematoma After Colonoscopy

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby Shing » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Five months ago in March I had a colonoscopy.  Four days later I was in the ER with intense left side abdominal pain. I could hardly breathe.  My abdominal cavity and some of my pelvic area was full of blood.  During the colonoscopy my colon was perforated and spleen was bruised and cut. I bled into my abdominal cavity for four days.  Spent a week in the hospital and sent home with several pain pills.  Told that my body would reabsorb the blood, in about six to nine weeks.  A recent cat scan showed my abdominal cavity is still full of blood and half my spleen is bruised and has hematoma.  Is there a possibility it can rupture?  Will the blood ever reabsorb into my body?  how long does that usually take?  I have alot of pain on my left side, and have not worked since this happened. The surgeon said he had never seen anything like this and did not want to stir things up by draining the blood... I am in constant pain... Is this possible malpractice?
Shing

Postby Cilombo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:54 am

Five months ago in March I had a colonoscopy.  Four days later I was in the ER with intense left side abdominal pain. I could hardly breathe.  My abdominal cavity and some of my pelvic area was full of blood.  During the colonoscopy my colon was perforated and spleen was bruised and cut. I bled into my abdominal cavity for four days.  Spent a week in the hospital and sent home with several pain pills.  Told that my body would reabsorb the blood, in about six to nine weeks.  A recent cat scan showed my abdominal cavity is still full of blood and half my spleen is bruised and has hematoma.  Is there a possibility it can rupture?  Will the blood ever reabsorb into my body?  how long does that usually take?  I have alot of pain on my left side, and have not worked since this happened. The surgeon said he had never seen anything like this and did not want to stir things up by draining the blood... I am in constant pain... Is this possible malpractice?
Cilombo

Postby Cystennin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:49 pm

I am not a doctor and cannot answer the medical questions that you have. However, I can give you a good answer to the question about malpractice.  Colon perforation is a known and not uncommon risk with colonoscopy. Perforation can happen even when everything is done right. For that reason, if you do make a full and complete recovery with no long term and serious medical problems, then even if malpractice could be shown, the damages will not be great enough for any attorney to have interest in taking the case. This is not to diminish the tough time you have had but a mp case takes a long time, lots of the attorney's money, and lots of work so unless the damages are well into the 6 figures, it just isn't worth it.  I would be you do make a full recovery but in the event that you do not, then you should start calling around to large lawfirms in your area that handle such cases. Good luck
Cystennin

Return to Medical Malpractice