Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Spider Plant Babies

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Spider Plant Babies

Postby Seldon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 am

Hello Will,

A spider plant which I've had for three years still hasn't produced any babies. I keep it in good light, let it dry out between waterings, and repot it every spring into a pot one size larger as I've read to do in numerous plant books. I guess I made a mistake by choosing a male plant from the plant store. I'd really like to have babies but without knowing how to identify female plants have a 50% chance of getting it wrong again and don't want a house full of adult spider plants! Can you help me?
Seldon

Spider Plant Babies

Postby Seung » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Hello Will,

A spider plant which I've had for three years still hasn't produced any babies. I keep it in good light, let it dry out between waterings, and repot it every spring into a pot one size larger as I've read to do in numerous plant books. I guess I made a mistake by choosing a male plant from the plant store. I'd really like to have babies but without knowing how to identify female plants have a 50% chance of getting it wrong again and don't want a house full of adult spider plants! Can you help me?
Seung

Spider Plant Babies

Postby Donogb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Darlene,

I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but it is not very scientific.

There are no male or female spider plants. The flowers that spider plants produce have male and female parts, as do most all flowers, but the plants themselves are not gender-specific.

There are several things you can do to get your spider plants to produce runners that will develop baby plantlets. Locate your spiders right in your sunniest window. Spider plants will survive in indirect light, but they are more likely to produce babies if they get a few hours of direct sun each day.

Keep your spider plants potbound. This is important. Each time you repot, the plant will put its energy into filling the pot with roots at the expense of foliage and baby plant development. Plants should not be repotted every spring anymore than children should get larger shoes every year on their birthdays. Plants should be repotted only when they are very potbound, regardless of the time of year.

Proper watering and monthly fertilizing at half-strength will also help encourage overall plant health, including lots of plantlets.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions. If you would like to e-mail me some photos, I may be able to provide some additional insights.

If this information has been helpful, please take the time to give me a rating and nomination.

Visit my website at  www.HorticulturalHelp.com   

Regards,

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper

Horticultural Help, NYC

You can E-mail me directly at: [email protected]  
Donogb

Return to Patents & Trademarks