Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Speed bumps damage suspension. Should not local councils pay for repair?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby toryn34 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:40 am

Before anyone gets on the if you do not drive over them too fast your car will not be damaged, that is not the case ordinary road wear has the same effect but over a longer period. even if a driver is going too fast since when did local authorities have the right to damage your car.
Let me put it this way: If a man illegally parks his car across your driveway you have no right to damage his car to move it out of the way. This is a long established principle. An illegal act does not entitle you to damage the transgressors property. Why then are local authorities so permitted.

It has not happened to me
toryn34

Postby gustav » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:45 am

It's actually the driver who is causing the damage (in my opinion)! I avoid them like the plague - If I can't then I go over them at 15 mph
gustav

Postby adare » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 am

Not sure how it is there, however in our country speed bumps are all either before and after a pedestrian crossing or in dangerous areas and have good cause to be there, if you run over them so fast it damages your car then it is your fault.

Now going on to legal business. Roads are property of the government and are usually monitored by a contracted or government road service. They put a speed bump in order to limit the speed at which a driver is going. If you went over it too fast and damaged your car then it is technically YOU who did it. They just put the speed bump there, it is you who chose to over it so fast that it damages your suspension. My car is nearly 18 years old and the suspension is absolutely fine.

In short: no, because they did not damage your suspension.
adare

Postby hyun-su » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:57 am

You are darn right. Bloody town councils can never get things right. Some spastic in our local town decided it was a grand idea to place a road bump on top of a hill before he retired. At leave several people had their car suspension damaged. The community is still annoyed over this. We decided to place an exhaust on top of a sign beside the ramp to warn drivers. The town is very small and there are hardly any pedestrians about, so way make a speed bump?
hyun-su

Postby gervaso81 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:01 am

Join the club;

http://www.abd.org.uk/topics/speed_humps.htm
gervaso81

Postby luther » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:10 am

You seem to be living on a different world to the rest of us. Are you suggesting that having a road to drive on, which eventually causes wear and tear on a car, means the council should pay for all of my repairs? If you go over speed bumps at a sensible pace, then almost every car made in the last 30-40 years + isn't going to be noticable affected!

You can claim against the council for damage from a pothole, but a speed bump is there to SLOW YOU DOWN, so if you don't slow yourself down then it's YOU that's causing the damage, and you are liable for any damage to the road surface if you were to scrape it going too fast.
luther

Postby gilleabart » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:11 am

You seem to be living on a different world to the rest of us. Are you suggesting that having a road to drive on, which eventually causes wear and tear on a car, means the council should pay for all of my repairs? If you go over speed bumps at a sensible pace, then almost every car made in the last 30-40 years + isn't going to be noticable affected!

You can claim against the council for damage from a pothole, but a speed bump is there to SLOW YOU DOWN, so if you don't slow yourself down then it's YOU that's causing the damage, and you are liable for any damage to the road surface if you were to scrape it going too fast.
gilleabart

Return to Property Law