Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Someone Hit My Parked Car - I Have No Insurance

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Postby Blaine » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:27 am

Hi, I'm just wondering what the best course of action is to take in my situation. I returned home to find that my parked car had been hit. The man responsible was unconscious from a medication when the accident occured and was traveling fast enough for his car to end up upside down in the middle of the street. My neighbors heard the commotion and called the police who responded and left their card on my door. I spoke with the responding officer and he told me to obtain a copy of the police report which would contain the parties insurance info. Once I obtain the report, what should my next step be? I don't have insurance and wasn't planning on driving the car until I could purchase a new policy, am I at all responsible for damages? Can I try for pain and suffering or any other litigation? Also, my ipod was damaged in the accident and no longer works, can I somehow be reimbursed?

Is there anything else I need to know before I make a claim with his insurance company?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Blaine

Postby Neason » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:02 am

Hi Tyler-

I don't see how you would be considered at fault in the accident.  What you will have to do once you identify the insurance company is to call and make a claim.  It would be a good idea to take photos, if you haven't already, of the damage.  If they aren't responsive, you will have to get an estimate of the damage, and file a claim against the owner in small claims court.  He will then have to turn it over to his insurance.  As to the Ipod, you will have to prove that it was damaged in the accident, but you may not get reimbursed for it, because it's considered personal property, and it might be hard to prove that it was damagedin the accident.  Pain and Suffering wouldn't apply, because you weren't injured, although you may qualify for some rental car reimbursement.  Hope this helps. :) Denise
Neason

Return to Rental Law