Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Slip Fall

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Slip Fall

Postby Doogan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:38 am

I was walking to class at The College of Eastern Utah, Price, Utah when I slipped on Ice that was on the walkway.  This was not just a small patch but it covered the whole walkway. This fall happend at around 8 a.m in the morning when students were on their way to class, at 11 am the same day, after the college was notified of the icy walkway, no maintnance was done to correct the problem.  The injuries I incurred were as follows, a broken tailbone, dislocated hips and a concussion from when my head hit the pavement.  I was told by risk management that you walk at your own risk in the winter time.  Is this true?
Doogan

Slip Fall

Postby Mathias » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:10 am

Hi,

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.  Without knowing more, this is a difficult question to answer.  

If the school cleans the sidewalk, they have a duty to do it properly.  Additionally, it is possible that the ice was caused by a condition created by the school.  For instance, if a leader pipe from a nearby building was spilling water towards the sidewalk which then froze, they would be responsible.  It is also possible that improper designing resulted in the grade of the sidewalk and adjacent landscaping in such a manner that ice regularly formed on the sidewalk.  Finally, I think that the college would have a duty to keep the sidewalk clear because they charge a fee for you to attend class and they know that students must utilize the sidewalk that they provided to get to class.  I suggest that you contact a personal injury lawyer immediately.

If you would like to look for a lawyer, my malpractice insurance carrier says I should refer you to your local Bar Association for a personal injury attorney.  If I were looking for an attorney for your type of case, I would make sure that I retained an attorney who limits his/her practice to personal injury.  I would look for a personal injury attorney at www.atla.org and call an attorney who is a Life, President, or Sustaining member.  Click on Find Lawyer;  Click on I Agree to All Terms; Enter your state in the state field;  Enter the word "life member" or "president member" or "sustaining member";  Then click on Find ATLA Member.

My legal malpractice company and AllExperts.com require that I advise you that the above is not legal advice for you.  It is only my opinion as it would apply to myself if I were in this position.  For legal advice, you should formally contact a lawyer.

I hope I have been of some help.  If you have any further questions, feel free to let me know.  I would like to thank you for requesting my advice and I would appreciate your leaving a comment for me at AllExperts.com.  If you feel my answer was worthwhile, please check the box to nominate me for volunteer of the month.

Thank you very much, good luck and be sure to check out my web site www.HURT911.org which has a lot of useful information for Accident & Injury research.

Philip L. Franckel, Esq.

Former Member Board of Directors,

New York State Trial Lawyers Association

telephone: 516-621-9399

email: [email protected]

website: the CENTER FOR INJURY ASSISTANCE® at www.HURT911.org
Mathias

Slip Fall

Postby Waleis » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:47 am

I was walking to class at The College of Eastern Utah, Price, Utah when I slipped on Ice that was on the walkway.  This was not just a small patch but it covered the whole walkway. This fall happend at around 8 a.m in the morning when students were on their way to class, at 11 am the same day, after the college was notified of the icy walkway, no maintnance was done to correct the problem.  The injuries I incurred were as follows, a broken tailbone, dislocated hips and a concussion from when my head hit the pavement.  I was told by risk management that you walk at your own risk in the winter time.  Is this true?
Waleis

Return to Legal Malpractice